Crazy Turbo Idea

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Tell me if I'm crazy guys but I had this idea the other night about putting a turbo charger on my spare 200. I plan on making it a very mild 6, mild cam, 3x1 Holley 1904 (glass bowl of course) or 2 weber 32/36, HEI, 250 head, decked block and all.
But I've been thinking of adding a turbo, but the plumbing sucks especially with headers, so why not create an electrically powered turbo! It's run off the alternator like the auto choke. It doesn't need to be über powerful but just a little extra pizaz. It could work possibly like how a starter works, the magnets spin it.
This way you don't have to do crazy plumbing it'd take up much less space (due to not needed plumbing). It'd sit where the AC compressor or where the power steering sits, since I don't have either.

Give me your thoughts and the feasibility of this.

Thanks guys!
Ryan

Google Electric Superchargers and Electric Turbochargers and do a lot of reading.
Note the electric power requirements.

Even with an electric charger you still have to plumb the exhaust away or you will pass out from the CO. ;)
Sorry but I am a little turbo biased . :nod:

I have a 250 building for drag race only, stock large cleaned up exhaust manifold with a j pipe directly into the turbo, make that connection as short as possible. Plan to run 10 lbs boost max. Will be a scalded dog runner. Good luck. Randy

C our: "Turbo, N/A, Superch" forum at "Board Index"...

electric turbos flat dont work. the best fo them produce a mere three psi at most, and that assumes everything is perfect.

looks more like an "electric turbocharger" is a lill more of a supercharger & inadequate at that?

It was just an idea. I figured it could have been easier to install since I'm not looking for super boost. But i guess just the 3x1 will do fine

Thanks everyone!
Ryan

Back