200 six loud exhaust from stock muffler

russell-t

My mustang has a replacement exhaust system from cj pony parts.
The car sounds like there is a hole in the exhaust system,is louder than
normal. Checked the system and there are no holes or split seams.

Is there anyone who has done anything to quiet their stock system down
to a livable level of noise? Could I add a small turbo muffler between the engine
and muffler? I want to keep the single system for the stock appearance.
What about a cherry bomb or a stock resonator from a large 60's,70"s car?

Need to hear from anyone who has done a successful silencing of their
inline 6. NOT interested in a dual manifold system.

Yes you can install a resonator before or after the muffler. You did not mention location of the system you installed. See your local muffler shop & they can quiet your system.

Went to my garage guy to ask about a resonator. Put the car on the rack and found out there is very little
room to put a resonator anywhere in the pipeline before the muffler. Told me.."Can't help you."

Did online search and discovered the muffler on my car looks similar to the V-8 muffler for the 66 Mustang.
Also discovered that there is a 6 cyl. version,and it looks very different from the one I have.

Went to Mustangs Unlimited and bought 6 cyl. muffler # C5ZZ-5230-T. Had it installed and it is a BIG difference
in the noise. Much quieter.

I believe that the exhaust system on my car was part of a kit that is commonly sold as a complete system to restorers.
The muffler included in that kit is not any more than one tube in,one tube out.No baffles...nothing inside.
Garage showed me the inside of my old muffler and it is nothing more than 2 tubes welded into a steel can.

If your Mustang is really noisy,and you have no exhaust leaks,you have one of these garbage mufflers on your car.

Back