Small block or big block

falcon_master

Hi everyone so I decided to listen to alot of people's advice and just find a 200 to stuff in my falcon. But the I thought why not just get a 300. There still somewhat cheap and tough as nails. I hear they almost never break and the torque is incredible. But I don't know because I'm guessing if I go for a 300 it won't be a blot in swap anymore and because of extra weight and size I'll have to change the suspension and motor mounts. But also I'm thinking because of the 300s massive bore and stroke I'm guessing it won't like to rev that high. So that's why I'm asking if I should look for a 200 or go for a 300. Which has more potential? Thanks everyone

A 200 is a direct bolt in for any 144 or 170! A 300 can be done but be aware that you will need bigger brakes, a better transmission, a much stronger rear axle because the 300 has far more torque than any small six and you will also need a bigger budget too. You can read about what's needed for the swap in the below link. Good luck on your Falcon. :nod:

viewtopic.php?f=102&t=56067

"sm block / big blk" (yer subject line above) is a chebby term.
Got 'families' over here (thrifypower or falcon motor, FE, Y, etc).
Ck out your 300 ("gasser that's a diesel") over at the :
240-300 Six Performance
Forum here by clickin on it on the home or Index page.
(one finer distinction on the ford i6 is the 250 & lower as "small 6"
and 240 and larger as "big six"...)

F_M I was "gifted" a 300 from a relative out of a pickup when i had first gotten this car and i did a bunch of research on this setup it can be done as they all have said but be aware the physical size difference between the 2 motors the 300 is not only longer, but its also taller and wider, from what ive been told and what i could find expect heavy modification to the firewall and trans tunnel, you have to move the firewall back the better part of 3" or more to fit the motor in there while still be able to keep the radiator support in the stock location, also new engine mounts need to be made that lower the motor as far down in the engine bay as possible for hood clearance unless you want to run without a hood or with he hood cutup to make room and of course pretty much any transmission that will bolt to the 300 is going to be larger than what the tranny tunnel will allow so enlargening of the tunnel would also be necessary, also as bubba said better brakes and rear end are a necessary upgrade. Granted you have a 64 so its slightly easier for you than it is for me but from my understanding all of the above may be needed and should be considered if your serious about the swap

"...why not just get a 300..."
same ol Q:
what's the application, end goal, use of the vehicle?
That dictates the choices frm big to small...
As U know frm ur shop class: the auto is a System
(change 2 one prt means changes for the others or problems develop).

Keep talkin

Howdy,

Man the 300 in that little car would be sick as heck, you'd probably be able to accelerate faster than 289s. But to do that is a huge amount of work. Have you ever seen a 300? They're massive!!!! The 200 is a direct bolt in and it should work with your stock running gear.

If you did the 300 you'd have to upgrade everything to v8 grade like what I mentioned earlier in one of your posts, plus modify the heck out of the engine bay. Your cross braces that go from the body to the shock towers will likely be a clearance problem. I'd just do a 200 man. They're tough as nails too

Good luck,
Ryan

Back