Help! The movers dropped my brand new motor! I need an oil pan.

eds1965coupe

Friends,

We recently moved from Oregon to Texas. My freshly rebuilt 250 was still on the engine stand. The movers dropped the motor from the back of the truck to the pavement. Fortunately, the only damage is the oil pan and valve cover. I removed the pan to check the pickup tube, etc. All was well.

However, it has turned out to be impossible to find an oil pan for a 250. There are plenty of 200s, but not 250s. I'm reaching out to see if someone has a good, straight oil pan for a 250. It would really help me out.

Thanks so much,

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 151
That sucks. Sorry to hear. I bought the top end of a 250 on here a few months back. Well an aussie head from a 250 block. Last i knew he was still trying to sell the rest off the motor off or part it. Check the for sale section that i posted in. Good luck!!

pound out / braze any holes.
Glad the p/u, tube & screen R OK.
Need 2 B bout 1/8th inch offa the 'floor' when done.

eds1965coupe":3epdlg0i said:
Friends,

We recently moved from Oregon to Texas. My freshly rebuilt 250 was still on the engine stand. The movers dropped the motor from the back of the truck to the pavement. Fortunately, the only damage is the oil pan and valve cover. I removed the pan to check the pickup tube, etc. All was well.

However, it has turned out to be impossible to find an oil pan for a 250. There are plenty of 200s, but not 250s. I'm reaching out to see if someone has a good, straight oil pan for a 250. It would really help me out.

Thanks so much,

Ed
That,s not how you make a dropped pan ;) But it would make for a good candidate. do not forget to lower pickup and check for chassis clearance.

:unsure: Me thinks that I would be holding the moving company responsible for the damage.Make them find a proper and correct oil pan for the replacement.If they don`t,post up the name of the company AND the names of the crew that was on the truck when the damage happened.Don`t let them off the hook for a proper settlement.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Definitely make the moving company provide a like new pan same as the one they destroyed. Immediately. And an extra 500 to have a competent mechanic make the repair.

I bet $20 that pick up is bent. Check it with clay when you get a new pan. Car-Parts.com has several listed for sale under 1975 Mercury Comet

Ditto here. I'm with Leo et al. Moving company needs to be doing the search. They actually have liability insurance for those kinds of things.

Unless, you know, this is the first time something ever got damaged by a moving company.

I saved a pan from a 250 sitting in a swamp because of the rarity. After a muddy time removing it, I found a rod had banged around it and dented it out and made a small puncture.

The 250 pan is unique and not re-popped AFAIK.

A possible source may be found over at the Maverick forums. More 250's in Mavericks then anything else. A lot of those guys on the Mav' forum foolishly remove the six engines for V8 swaps...

http://mmb.maverick.to/

http://mmb.maverick.to/forums/maverick- ... r-sale.13/

have fun

fast64ranchero":3uy6dzwn said:
I bet $20 that pick up is bent. Check it with clay when you get a new pan. Car-Parts.com has several listed for sale under 1975 Mercury Comet
X2, I thought the same thing.

Go to Speedway Motors website & they offer weld on pan extensions for extra oil capacity which would correct your problem.
I make one very important suggestion bolt a temporary strip of metal between either sides of the pan so when done welding it the pan bolt holes still line up with the mounting of the bottom of the block due to warpage.

would the work be successful if done bolted on the motor (or a scrap motor) to maintain shape, Bill?

Back