Got My Ford Falcon Performance Handbook-Now Some Questions

rzcrisis

Supporter 2019
Hello Fellow Inliners!

Just got my performance handbook and it has so many great tips...great investment....and now I have some questions......

I have a 63 Ford Falcon 2drht with a 1960 144ci/3speed manual on the tree, with the Holley 1904 carb. Car was built in Oakville, Ontario, Canada with a 170ci Fordomatic but was swapped at some point by PO...so it is what it is for me to get this beast to a better performance point.

First question. Can I simply have a 2" exhaust pipe (adapter at manifold) with performance muffler installed without changing the exhaust manifold to 2"? Will that give me some extra "umph" and better sound?

Second question. My Holley 1904 has the infamous bowl seep leak and wondering what others have done besides applying gas resistance goop such as seal all to fix this? I am wondering if a thicker bowl gasket will work but not sure whether to use cork or a rubber composite gasket material. The carb bowl tabs are a bit warped which I believe is causing the problem. I just rebuilt this carb and other than this leaking it works great. I am thinking of maybe looking at a 2 barrel with adapter upgrade possibly. I see Vintage Inlines has a Weber carb and adapter that might work.

My long range plans are to source a 200ci with either a 4 or 5 speed manual but want to get this car on the road in the spring. Looking at a Pertronix ignition upgrade as well to get things started.

Thanks for you feedback!

Go with a 65 & later 200 and you never look back. From there you can get a 68 + exhaust manifold for the 2" headpipe.
Update to a DS11 distributor with a 68 & later carb to eliminate the SCV.

Hi, in the past we would put a sheet of Emory cloth on a piece of glass and gently sand the part to get it flat. Good luck

rzcrisis":3vo9h2zv said:
Hello Fellow Inliners!

Just got my performance handbook and it has so many great tips...great investment....and now I have some questions......

I have a 63 Ford Falcon 2drht with a 1960 144ci/3speed manual on the tree, with the Holley 1904 carb. Car was built in Oakville, Ontario, Canada with a 170ci Fordomatic but was swapped at some point by PO...so it is what it is for me to get this beast to a better performance point.

First question. Can I simply have a 2" exhaust pipe (adapter at manifold) with performance muffler installed without changing the exhaust manifold to 2"? Will that give me some extra "umph" and better sound?

Second question. My Holley 1904 has the infamous bowl seep leak and wondering what others have done besides applying gas resistance goop such as seal all to fix this? I am wondering if a thicker bowl gasket will work but not sure whether to use cork or a rubber composite gasket material. The carb bowl tabs are a bit warped which I believe is causing the problem. I just rebuilt this carb and other than this leaking it works great. I am thinking of maybe looking at a 2 barrel with adapter upgrade possibly. I see Vintage Inlines has a Weber carb and adapter that might work.

My long range plans are to source a 200ci with either a 4 or 5 speed manual but want to get this car on the road in the spring. Looking at a Pertronix ignition upgrade as well to get things started.

Thanks for you feedback!

I usally try to straighten these carb parts as much as is posable on a straight flat surface by genially using a very light touch with a small hammer. I also use the cork or paper type gaskets of the best quality like from Holley or NAPA and no sealers of any kind. Good luck (y) :nod:

Howdy rzcrisis:

I haven't had a chance to say, Welcome to The Forum.

Now, Some more info please. Take a close look at your current exhaust manifold to look for the casting code. If the PO possibly keep the '63 head, exhaust manifold or any other pieces from the '63 170, that would be a plus. If you have a '63 exhaust manifold you can add a 2" exhaust system all the way. If not, then you will have to neck the header pipe up from the 144 exhaust manifold outlet of 1 3/4" to 2". Either way the 2" exhaust system will be a plus and be in place for the future 200 engine upgrade.

I was confused (Easily done) was the PetroniX upgraded for the 144 or the future 200? If it was for the 144, yes, a good upgrade along with the Flamethrower coil. BUT, (Doncha just hate a big BUT) If you were thinking of going to a Petronix conversion for the 200, consider the Later model DuraSpark II ignition system. AKA know that the PetroniX that fits a 144 distributor will hot fit a 200 distributor. We can talk in more detail once we know the details.

So, welcome again and keep it coming.

Adios, David

Thanks all for your great words of wisdom on my project. Much appreciated.

I plan on taking the advice to straighten the warpage on the Holley 904 as much as I can possibly using some heat and flat stock as I just saw in a YouTube video from Mikes Carbs or carefully tap out as Bubba suggested. If this doesn't work I will consider a 2 barrel with an adapter (if I need to spend any funds on another carb). Autolite 2100 or a Weber...not sure....

David, the stamping on my intake is C0DE 6090 so is a 1960 144 Falcon....PO must have just swapped the whole drivetrain. I measured the header pipe and it is 1.75". Thanks for your suggestion on doing the adapter and carrying through with the 2" inch exhaust which is what I will do for sure. The Pertronix upgrade will be for the 144ci due to its limitations in the short term until I can find a 200 ci donor which a long term goal at this point.

Randy

Howdy Back rz:

That a look at the exhaust manifold for a casting code. If it is a '60 code also the necked down head pipe will be the best you can do. Just for kicks, take a look.

The Petronix Ignitor is a good way to go. Also increase your initial advance with 5 degrees more than stock specs call for and open the spark plug gap to .035".

How is your non-synchro tranny holding up? What are your intended uses for this car?

Adios, David

Hello All

Sorry been busy with Christmas prep.....so just getting back now. Thanks bmbm40 for the 200 for sale info but I think I will need to source one in southern Ontario given my location and the $$exchange rate on our CDN dollar. Just getting the Falcon Performance Handbook cost me $56 CDN!

David, the stamping on my exhaust manifold appears to be C1DE 8480 B.....so I am thinking it is from a 61 engine? That Johnny Cash song comes to mind where the car was built from whatever parts were gleaned from the factory brought home in a lunch pail!

My primary purpose for this car is same as my restored 1964 Thunderbird.....car shows and cruise nights throughout the fair weather seasons....a driver and best restore and any mods required keeping within budget. I restored my Thunderbird to close to original condition (easy restore given a California car). I did all the work myself....body, mechanics, interior which is what I am doing with this "Canadian Survivor" Falcon!

So all this being said....I am not rushing anything but won't know how things like the tranny performs until I get this car safetied and on the road....my goal for spring 2018. Then I can assess what I need to do to improve driveability and what I want or need to "mod".

Thanks for writing the handbook. It is invaluable as a resource for all of us!

Randy

Randy, CZLN6 is right on if you use the original engine.
However since you are getting the 200 step up to a DS11 with a MSD-6al ignition box & a Blaster coil or a Ford TFI coil all which have a low primary resistance .5-.4 area.
Another option is use one of my HEI modules with those low resistance coils.
If you want a one wire hookup use one of my HEI distributors. This distributor will be curved for you combo.
Do not purchase the POS DUI which has a two piece housing & has shaft oiling and other negative items.
All of the above are listed in the small six for sale section of the forum.
I mention this just to steer you for the best parts to achieve optimum performance. Bill

"... to steer you for the best parts to achieve..."
thanks 4 a bit more background info.

sorry i ddn;t read ur bio info on the right side of each post.
I'd add to the last several posts tat international duties certainly add to costs. A PM to our member "Jackfish" may help U locate components w/in Canada (or at least problem solve around the issue). C if any of the on-line Falcon 'clubs' have local members. There are at least 2 I've visited (but I did not visit w/that bent in mind). Over twice the cost for a handbook (& it is THE resource) is too much to bear. I got a pressure cooker part from Oz that cost 100X it's price for same reason.

Sounds like U R like many of the rest of us: get it up to oem (somewhat restored as original) - then performance mods that don't appear modern and out of place? no? yes?

Thanks for the Canadian contact Chad.

Yes my aim right now is to get it on the road with what I have (close to original as possible so I can get the safety certificate without alot of hassles-the rules are stricter here now in Ontario) and then look at mods that suit.

Boy, our German friends seem to have it THE worse.
Keep checkin in. Luv 2 hear how it goes!

Back