Finding a large log cylinder head?

the 2nd pic above (middle 1) shows the danger of no 'build up' before 'take away'...

chad":12z7bmm3 said:
the 2nd pic above (middle 1) shows the danger of no 'build up' before 'take away'...
Chad if you look at the that pic you will see that if the ground flat spot and mostly the opening is moved to the front toward port 3 some, no filling is necessary. Forget the original hole. Others have been successful.. Bobcat said he did not braze..I will not pay to do some thing if I can do it myself..Carefully fitting an adapter and bolting down with a gasket can be done at home. Make the adapter yourself so you can place the bolts where needed for the best clamping and matching of the opening..More smaller Flathead machine screws work better than BIG bolts.
The hex head will be more difficult than the flat top..For that may take a home made aluminum adapter contoured to fit.

thanks for the post-back.
So what ur saying is some of what I call mistakes are simply from "misplacing the hole"?
Does "adding 1st" not help w/that?

(I'm seeking more info all the time yet am not one to consider this mod (as done by me or a machinist) but would like to continue the discussion into detail (tq, C my vehicle, is my need, not HP).
I'm also looking at hack-the-log-off discussions w/the same interest.
For decades folks have lauded the bottom end and dised the intake.
The 2v Oz & alu head R great work-arounds. The very 1st mod I saw was the X-flow-mod-to-USA-250. Let C what these innovators come up with. Ron Ward:
viewtopic.php?p=599225#p599225

thanks for the post-back.
So what ur saying is some of what I call mistakes are simply from "misplacing the hole ?. - Yes.
Does "adding 1st" not help w/that? - No need to, just plan it out carefully.

When milling the intake, should I try to match the slope of the actual log or the old 1.75" opening? How much does it matter?

The carb mount should be on the same plane/angle as the original which is around 3 degrees iirc. The engine sits at that angle and the carb should be close to level. That's what makes doing it "right" more difficult b/c the way the log is cast.

Royals65i6":376w4brc said:
When milling the intake, should I try to match the slope of the actual log or the old 1.75" opening? How much does it matter?
I would prefer to mill grind or file the manifold whatever angle that that gives you the best sealing and location of most full sized carb bore. If you angle the manifold sealing and thickness for bolts get to thin on one side. best to make the angle on the adapter.

Back