Exhaust sizing

64-5mustang

As of now I have the factory 1.75 exhaust under my 65 Mustang 200. I plan on going with a dual system with h pipe. Looking at the classic inline exhaust sizing chart 1.75 dual is fine for up to 200 horse which I hope I get but don't think I will. Everyone hear is saying to go with 2 inch dual. What is the reason for this? I have nothing against 2 inch, I have a jeep 225 with 2 inch dual fine when driving but a bit loud at idle also side exit, mustang will be rear exit. Thanks for your time.

Side note does has anyone played with this fuel injection seems like a good way to go for us.

https://youtu.be/rXUJPeCqWlQ

:unsure: Sorry "64-5mustang, I had split your orginal EFI forum post in two to place it also in the small six forum since it was also covering exhaust systems in the EFI forum. :nod:

The stock 1 3/4 single system is a little bit on the small side even for a totally stock 200. Yes for sure a mildly built 170 or 200 six using headers and a dual exhaust system with a pair of 1 3/4 inch pipes is quite adequate. Or a 2 inch single or dual system would also work too. In the end it all depends on how far you plan to go with your engine mods in the future. Good luck (y) :nod:

X2 on the 2" exhaust for your 200. A crossover or an X pipe will eliminate some of the exhaust drone if using louder mufflers.

Bubba I had realized I made the mistake after I posted it though I was in engen not efi. I will get rid of my current exhaust I'm wanting dual just cause I want it. I hoping to get 150 hp in the end 200 would be nice.

64-5mustang":2p7fxifd said:
Bubba I had realized I made the mistake after I posted it though I was in engen not efi. I will get rid of my current exhaust I'm wanting dual just cause I want it. I hoping to get 150 hp in the end 200 would be nice.

:beer: (y) 64-5mustang, yep that's about the best reason there is for installing a dual exhaust! Fairly easy to get to 150 to 180 H.P., 200 H.P. is a little more work. Good luck (y) :nod:

Back