Exhaust connection

cmm24601

I'm on my 3rd set of bolts to hold the exhaust pipe to manifold. They keep coming loose and falling out. Used lock washers, thread locker.

Any tips or tricks to keep that thing connected?

Not sure exact location of the problem. Is the joint at the 'donut' loosening up?
Like the exh manifold (studs or bolts) they may need tightening up 2 or 3 times after 'new'.

After several heat cycles, a tightening up (several hundred mi or several hrs) might help. Then again after nother round of engine heat - a tightening. After 2 or 3 cycles I've never hada prob.
Look up the tq specs for additional help.

Keep talkin !

Yes this is at the donut. I'm using studs and nuts, so tightening the nut eventually loosens the studs. Frustrating.

Do the bolts have the springs on them? Maybe the springs let the pipe move without loosening the nuts. Or may be double nut the bolts.
:unsure:

Rick

I can't imagine a way in which tightening the nuts would ever loosen the studs, The both have right hand threads

Rick, that link says they are for Dodge Chrysler applications. Do they fit the ford exhaust manifold?

Hi, I always like the set that gives studs, washers and brass nuts. I tighten them up evenly, a little on each side, and then go for the final tightening. My way lasts me for years. good luck

cmm,

I am not sure if the set will fit. Call an auto parts store to see if there is a set for Ford. But, the manifold has studs, they may not work.

Rick

Thanks guys. I ordered the stud and nut set from CJ Pony Parts. I'll try the tightening after heat cycle as suggested.

So... a chunk of the exhaust manifold fell off while I was threading the new studs in. About the size of my pinky knuckle.

Would you guys recommend replacing it with headers?

cmm24601":2pshn8ba said:
So... a chunk of the exhaust manifold fell off while I was threading the new studs in. About the size of my pinky knuckle.

1. :banghead: and now you also know why the nuts wouldn't stay tight too.

Would you guys recommend replacing it with headers?

2. Yep that would be a good excuse to get a set of headers unless you want to keep it more stock looking and can find another exhaust manafold. Good luck (y) :nod:

Welded it back together at a friend's shop. The studs are solid for now, but it's a temp fix.

Would anyone be willing to share their header installation modifications?

Where do you move the throttle linkage?

Back