New cam suggestions

I just got a new car, so the falcon is only going to be a toy for now on. I currently have a clay Smith 264 @112. It's ok for a street car, but I'd like to get off the line quicker. I have around 10.5 compression and I'm using a slightly higher a stall torque converter. I'm also giving it a 90 shot of n2o. I'm thinking about going to a smaller cam like a 252 or 260. I'm currently running 2.40 rear gears. I'm not too familiar with Cam's, so....

Why not start by changing the rear gears to something in the 3.7-4.11 range?

I actually just switched from 3.80 to 3.40, I didn't notice much of a difference other than I have a slightly higher top speed. I do plan on installing a gear vendor unit down the line with Lower rear gear, possibly 4.11's

You wouldn't go to a smaller cam just a tighter LSA, a 110 instead of the 112.
The cam may not be the solution. Need to know more about the set-up.

Are you foot breaking and leaving on nitrous with the WOT switch on the carb?
What rpm does the engine start to pull hard?
Is the launch rpm below that point where you might need a higher stall converter?

I have a carb switch and a window switch, the nitrous activates at 3000 rpm it seems to pull after 2000. If I remember correctly the converter flashes at 1200 when I gas it at a dead stop. I don't mind a solid lifter cam either. More info: I'm running 30over forged flat top pistons, 48 cc Chambers in the head larger valves, I don't remember the size. I'm thinking about zero decking the block and running 40 over pistons.

OK
The converter needs to let the engine rpm be just over 3000 rpm at launch from a dead stop so there is no waiting for nitrous.
Then you can use a larger cam and a higher compression ratio.
Looks like a 3000 rpm stall converter will get the job done for now.

A solid lifter cam is only needed for a high lift, high rpm engine.

Don't change anything until you get the converter right.
Everything else will be determined by the stall rpm.

Oh, there was a typo iin your first post, I thought you were running 2.4 gears :rolflmao:

first thing I would do is increase your stall RPM, second thing I'd do is get a cam with a LC of 108, the tighter the LC the earlier it will come in. I like Solid lifter cams, I'd look at something in line with Clay Smith's CSC 278-08 SSP, it'll have about the same bottom end as you have now but more mid range

We're talking about making up at least 1500 rpm from the present converter stall to where it should be, closer to 3000 rpm.
A 2 dergree change in LSA won't make enough difference.
If you close the intake valve even sooner to make more low end, the DCR increases to the point where you will have engine damage due to detonation unless you use higher octane racing fuel.

The problem is the converter stall and it needs to be changed.
It will be an entirely different car when that is right.

The higher stall also means you can raise the peak torque by using a larger cam, solid lifter if you like.
The larger cam will let you safely raise the compression ratio by zero decking the pistons.

You will have both a better 60 ft time and a higher top end.

Just wait until you can afford a new converter.

Go with a Schneider Cam 270-280 I- 214"@ .050"-E-222" @ .050 using a 112 L/C because you are going to shoot it with nitrious. Advance the camshaft 4" & that will pick up your low end.
You will need valve springs with 100# of seat pressure on the Schneider Cam. Has close to .500" Lift with 1.65 rockers arms. Better camshaft than the Clay Smith which only requires 80# seat pressure.
Talk to Jerry at Schneider & mention the specs i gave you. I believe he will recommend the same as i said. You can mention my name Bill Ambler. amblerrace@live.com

Back