200 performance street car

Phil66Mustang

Hey,

fortunately I got the chance to get a new "old" C.I aluminum head with yella terra full roller rockers and the aluminium intake for my 66 200 engine. Now I’m looking for the best setup to build a performance street car.
So far the rest of the Engine is a stock 200 and right now I’m not willing to pull the engine out to perform some machine work on it. Maybe next year or in 2019 I will pull the engine though.

My thoughts for now are to get the the following parts below:
Carburetor: Holley 390 4160.
Ignition: DSII with MSD 6AL and MSD Ford TFI coil
Exhaust: Dual Outlet Header with 2'' pipes

I appreciate any recommendation on what to differently

Regards
Philipp

Howdy Phillip:

WOW!! good on ya!! your parts plan sounds good. Be sure to think ahead about a cam and CR that will compliment this head and other parts.

Keep it coming.

Adios, David

:beer: Congrats Phillip, that's a great score on the C.I. Head and YellaTerrla roller rockers. Those heads flow great all the way up to .600 lift. Great idea on the other parts! Have you though about a camshaft to compliment the top end parts, if not you might give some though to that? What's the rest of your plan for the Mustangs chassis, trans and rear axle? Good luck on your build. (y) :nod:

Phillip, when using the CI head the DS11 requires a completely different custom curve than the iron head.
When replacing valve springs do not remove any material from the intake spring seat. The intake port is right below the seat & there is very little material there. See my PM Bill

Thanks for the reply. i've been thinking about a cam but i haven't figured out wich one would be the best.

Thought about the CS 274/274-112* Hydraulic Cam though. Would that be a good one or do you have any other recommendation to get the right performace?

hey,
looking for good headers now. The Hooker 6601 are hard to get and pretty expensive too, VI is sold out right now. I looked up the Clifford 6=8 wich look pretty good. The only thing that makes me think are the 2,50" collectors, might be a litle big dont you think?

2 1/2" collectors are fine.
I would give Jerry a call at Schneider Cams. I like his 270-80H. 112 L/C if a C-4, 110 L/C it manual trans.
You can mention my name when you call. Bill

I would not use the Holley 390, Look at the Quick Fuel 600 with vacuum secondary's. I used both on a smaller engine and never got the 390 to run smoothly. The Quick Fuel 600 is much more tunable and is cheaper. Don't bother putting on that head without upgrading the cam. Unlike some on here, I like tighter LC as the power comes in earlier, look at no more than 110 LC unless you plan on running a power adder. Good Luck, Walt

wsa111":ubp2g9tq said:
2 1/2" collectors are fine.
I would give Jerry a call at Schneider Cams. I like his 270-80H. 112 L/C if a C-4, 110 L/C it manual trans.
You can mention my name when you call. Bill

clifford recommends 2.25" pipes for the rest. Are they ok or should i run 2" for the rest.

It is a manual trans, so the 270-80H 110 L/C sounds pretty good to me, i will talk to Jerry before ordering though.

The Block is a stock 200 cui so i guess i can use the parameters out of the performance handbook. The CI head seems to vary in size so i have to cc the head.

Regards Phil

Im about to install the Head. With the yellaterra roller rockers i think i have to close the oil passage to the head. Im wondering what would be best to use as a plug?
any recommendations?

"...hard to get and pretty expensive too, VI is sold out right now. I looked up the Clifford 6=8 wich look pretty good..."
not sure if long tube or shorties R what U seek.
Many of us have used the "Speed Daddy" headers as they look 2 B exaclty what Mike W. (Classic Inlines / now Vintage Inlines) offered. They're available on fleebay at a fair price, R the shorty style. May B 2.25 inch after the filal pipes in that assembly (depending on going single from there or double)?

I got the car up and running, but i have a problem with the carburetor. Under load it has a very poor acceleration, with no gear in, it accelerates great. Also the idle speed is very high, even with the idle speed screw screwed so far out, it's not even touching anything anymore.

Carb is a brand new Holley 390, Head is the CI Aluminium, yella terre full roller rockers, MSD 6A, DSII and a MSD Blaster 3 coil
The Timing is set to 12°, will try to advance a little more but the dipstick is in the way and needs to be removed

Any thoughts on what to do?

Regards
Phil

Phil66Mustang":3m8etq8q said:
I got the car up and running, but i have a problem with the carburetor. Under load it has a very poor acceleration, with no gear in, it accelerates great. Also the idle speed is very high, even with the idle speed screw screwed so far out, it's not even touching anything anymore.

Carb is a brand new Holley 390, Head is the CI Aluminium, yella terre full roller rockers, MSD 6A, DSII and a MSD Blaster 3 coil
The Timing is set to 12°, will try to advance a little more but the dipstick is in the way and needs to be removed

Any thoughts on what to do?

Regards
Phil

I have my timeing at 14. I have a 390 and runs good had to change the jets. I will have to see what color cam I am using on it.

Thanks for the link Brian!
"... Mustang Monthly
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/e ... r-engines/..."

Looks like Matt has been busy.
Now I know how U spent ur "April Vacation" buddy!

Makes me wanna get that falcon wagon even more now! SFI w/the ol CI/newVI head...
The 'stang article even showed a triple DCOE (or Solex) side draft adapter (not shown on the alu head tho). Wonder how that would do w/our "1 carb p/cylinder" motorcycle carb mod? It had 6 ports.

Sorry for the side track...

Back