Cooling

64-5mustang

Before I get in to trouble with uping my power and not touch the cooling system. 65 Mustang 200 c4 trans hope to make 150 horse electric is a generator system. With the engen stock it would get on the hot side if I let it sit in traffic too long on a hot day but was fine moving. Part of me would like to go with a electric fan but I will need to get a altnator. What have you guys done for your cooling systems? Thanks for your time and help.

Hi, I would drain and flush the cooling system and change to a quality 180 degree thermostat.
Also advance the timing to 10 or 12 degrees BTDC, and make sure the load o matic advance is working.
Also products like Water Wetter can help keep temps down.
A fan shroud will help if you don't have one, but it may be tough to find one.
If you can put your hand on the front of the radiator you can feel for cold spots, which means tubes are clogged, if you have a point and shoot digital thermometer you can check for cold spots. If your radiator is clogged up most guys would replace it with a bigger one. Good luck

Howdy:

X2 on all of Ron's suggestion. I'd also suggest that you check the radiator hoses, especially the lower one. If there are signs of deterioration replace them. Sometimes old hoses can collapse inward reducing flow. While cavatation usually occurs on acceleration it can happen all the time too.

You may want to flush the block as well. If the engine is factory original there is likely a good deal of sand and casting material present.

I don't recall your locale or climate, but if temps are upward of 90 degrees heating up while idling at a long stop light is not uncommon. One idea is to slip the trans into neutral while idling in traffic. Moving the trans to neutral will take off the load on the engine, raise the idle rpm which will increase fan speed as well as coolant flow, and save some gas.

I hope that helps you. Keep us posted on your progress.

Adios, David

Back