Building a new motor, Need advice please

ssg66stang

So, I was able to come across a 1968 200 cid block with a 1978 250 head for a new motor build that I want to begin. Eventually I plan on using a VI head but for now the 250 head will have to do. I want to either turbo charge or supercharge the motor, nothing too radical but I would like a nice clean setup with good power.(not sure what kind of power is realistic to expect from one of these builds) I know that you can spend $1000's and get crazy power but my pockets aren't that deep. I was thinking somewhere in the $2500-3000 range (not including the VI head). I have done some basic research on the topics but I was hoping that someone on here with actual experience could give me the pros/cons of each setup and some good recommendations on the type of parts that will hold up to the added boost.

I plan on taking my time with the build so once the block is machined, I'm going to start from the bottom-up so the first parts that I think I should be looking for are - crank, cam (no sure what type of profile would be best), pistons, rods. How much should I have the blocked bored? What CR should I be at for either setup?

Thanks in advance!

If you were to go with a supercharger, which supercharger would you use?
A centrifugal like an old Paxton or a roots type like an Eaton?

Will you be using an intercooler?

pmuller9,

I'm not really sure. That's kind of what I need to know. I've heard good things about the Paxton superchargers. From my limited knowledge, all superchargers don't need an intercooler, correct? I am not against having one I just need help in identifying key issues that I might have and the pros /cons of each setup. I also like that fact that I don't have to fabricate a manifold for a supercharger. I would like to get some where near 250hp at the rear wheels. Is that realistic for a $2500-3000 budget?

Thanks!

we have a forum on that build.
It's realistic cuz guys are doing it, sharing info, and having success.

viewforum.php?f=22

somea da guys on here R also over there but I think you'd have more 'hits' if over there.
Whereever U R I'll B following this project !

Back