Oil Catch Can

65 Mustang

Hi Everyone,
Just placed my rebuilt cylinder head on tonight. Torqued it to 55 lb ft and will do the final torquing tomorrow afternoon. Noticing how clean everything is at the moment, it got me thinking about adding an oil catch can to reduce carbon deposits. Has anyone done this? If so, any suggestions? Pictures? Thanks

All you need is a proper PCV for the size of your engine & a vented oil filler cap.
The only valve cover that has decent oil control is a stock Ford valve cover.
All the cast aluminum valve covers are a copy of the Clifford or Edelbrock valve cover. They have no baffle to shield the PCV from direct oil spray.
A baffled PCV grommet is not fully efficient.
If you have one of these all you have is a 5lb cover which is good looking, but from an engineering oil control unless you mount the PCV 4" above the grommet you will suck oil into the intake.
Thats why they pay factory engineers $$$$ cause they design the oil control correct.
The supercharged Lightnings & Cobra engines need an oil catch can otherwise you will oil soak the intercooler with oil. I mention this cause my daily driver is a 2003 Lightning.
The Ford engineers really screwed up on these engines.

I've considered putting a catch can on the pcv to. There's a lot of oil that gets past the baffles in the valve cover. I know there's is oil going right into the intake on my engine via the pcv. I've seen it on the port if I pull the tube off the carb.

what's the maintenance schedule on the PCV?
I'm sure some gets in there but aint that Y U throw it out/replace every once'n awhile?

I'd tend to agree w/Bill - no catch can w/properly installed PCV system.
Can U say more bout yours Seth?

Thanks for all the great info. What’s the story with the air filter in the oil cap? Is it recommended that that gets replaced every so often? Is it even designed to be replaced or do you just get a new cap with a new filter in it. Thanks

The Blue Box":yy7gwe2d said:
I ripped my baffle out because the rocker arms were smacking it :LOL: (bigger cam)
You should have just used 2 v/c gaskets to raise the valve cover.

I really should have. I thought about making some sort of spacer or something. They make them for the big blocks but not the small blocks

I have used 2 cork gaskets on my valve cover for the longest time. The first covers that CI made were, well, not made very well.

Anyways, here is a pic of my oil catch can.

IMG_20171110_143400.jpg

Hello, i would like to throw my two cents in here. i own a 67 200ci myself and i am in the process of turboing it. The only reason i would see you needing a catch can is if you are putting boost through the engine which causes more blow by, therefor needing a catch can or if you are pushing big numbers like 400-500. other than that the stock PCV is doing its job.

The Blue Box":1lqh75l6 said:
I ripped my baffle out because the rocker arms were smacking it :LOL: (bigger cam)
I got a 250 valve cover on my 65 200 and i had to dent in the baffles to keep them from hitting. Im pretty sure though my cam is stock. It doesnt drive like a bat out of heck

Back