Making the column shift not sloppy

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

Im getting my steering box rebuilt and while i have the column out, i want to improve the sloppiness of the manual column shift. Anything i can do?

This is a 65 200 Ranchero.

Thanks guys!
Ryan

Disassemble and inspect everything for wear- elongated holes, etc. I've found that usually the pin that goes through the shift handle where it enters the collar part of the column, wears the hole in that collar and makes it sloppy. Sometimes you can ream that out and install an oversized pin, or look for a replacement collar. Reproductions are readily available as they are a high wear item:

https://www.dearbornclassics.com/sh...MImoWk59ef2AIVjrXACh1fugZOEAQYASABEgIsPfD_BwE

64-36259.jpg

bent rods, worn out bushings and rusted out shift tubes all contribute.
Then onto the linkage right on the transmis (attached externally) an
inspection / straightening out there can finish the job. I don't believe there'
is much inside the transm you'd change to improve 'linkage slop' but let's C
what the experts have 2 say...

All these parts & wrk R 1 of the resons folks sometimes swap out to the 'racy' fl shifts.
Good on ya mate 4 rebuilding - I like em better.

chad":3s432z57 said:
bent rods, worn out bushings and rusted out shift tubes all contribute.
Then onto the linkage right on the transmis (attached externally) an
inspection / straightening out there can finish the job. I don't believe there'
is much inside the transm you'd change to improve 'linkage slop' but let's C
what the experts have 2 say...

All these parts & wrk R 1 of the resons folks sometimes swap out to the 'racy' fl shifts.
Good on ya mate 4 rebuilding - I like em better.
Thanks man, i do plan to put a T5 in it but for now, and probably a while, its gonna keep the column shift, its neat.
I done replaced that rubber piece where the shifter goes into and replaced the rubber pieces where the levers come up to the column in the engine bay. But its still sloppy
I got some new bushings so hopefully thatll fix it.

"shift tube" 's a hard 1.
It;s inside your (I believe) column. C if U can't find an exploded diagram to C it. They've kinda 'tinny' so bend'n rot. But also the whole thing needs torn apart 4 this maint. chore-so might B 2 much, esp if goin 2 a T5 anyway. What you've done will take it far...

Back