VI Exhaust vs Others - Videos?

Matthew68

Hi All,

1968 Mustang 200ci stock minus a Petronius and flamethrower. I'm looking at a complete exhaust (headers included) for the next piece of the puzzle. I've reviewed sizing specs on the tech forum and also in "The Book". I have two questions:

• I plan for more upgrades down the road (cam, distributor, 2V conversion, etc). When sizing exhaust, do I size what I have have currently or size for what I plan down the road for? I don't want to size too big or too small

• Does anyone have any good videos of the 200ci running a complete upgraded exhaust? I'm really looking for comparisons between the VI setup vs hooker, etc. I know sound is completely preference on the person, I just have no way of knowing which one would sound the best for me. Most YouTube videos are either terrible quality, only one exhaust, or some other limiting factor. Just trying to make a well informed decision. Any forum members care to post their exhaust videos?

Thanks all!

Cheers,
M

If i had to replace my present mufflers i would choose Borla's. Years ago Okefenokee had a comet with dual outs using Borla's & it sounded like a V-8.
My exhaust consist of Hooker headers to a X pipe to Flowmaster hushpower mufflers which i hate. The pipe size is 2".
DSC_0007.jpg

Thanks, wsa.

Where did you get the hooker headers from? I went to Holley's website and I don't see any options for us 6 guys. Did you fabricate the rest of your exhaust yourself? Do you have any videos or sound clips of your exhaust?

"...videos or sound clips of your exhaust?..."
How can U trust em? It doesn't fit reality for my ears~
How could I best use this tool?

I ask folks when I hear one I like - must B near identical engine (w/any mods) - to begin a conversation w/a stranger,
but it's channeled and narrowed my choices to pretty ideal results (1st time purchases w/accuracy).

type Hooker 6601 into browser. I think summit had them.

chad":3sa8qeq8 said:
"...videos or sound clips of your exhaust?..."
How can U trust em? It doesn't fit reality for my ears~
How could I best use this tool?

I ask folks when I hear one I like - must B near identical engine (w/any mods) - to begin a conversation w/a stranger,
but it's channeled and narrowed my choices to pretty ideal results (1st time purchases w/accuracy).

Here in my locality, there's not many classic sixes. It's either a different car, different make, or if I'm lucky to find a ford, it's a V8. With video quality as good as it is these days, it's one of my only options. Otherwise, it's a wild guess (and still may be even with vids)

Cheers,
M

bmbm40":3jmmi86o said:
type Hooker 6601 into browser. I think summit had them.

Thanks for the tip. Only two places had them in stock for over $700. Can't justify that price range for headers only.

Those pacemaker ones will be in the $400-500 range one you take into account shipping and the conversion rate between US and AU dollars. $500 AUD is roughly $390 USD right now.

"...video quality as good as it is these days..."
OK, thanks, got it now.
(and)
there's the rub. My quality just aint that good.

How bout oneada band clamps for a try out muffler...bring it back if U don't like it?
Oneada big box prts stores I worked in would take it back if U just tried it a sec for tone/sound...

65coupei6":361fxxtn said:
How about those stainless headers from eBay. A few people on here have them.
Support 'our guy' if possible: he caters to only the Ford i6 engine, is a member here, & has build/bought/learned from 'us'.
The SD is an exact duplicate as far as can be told so Y not go Vintage Inlines?

chad":f1j30t3z said:
65coupei6":f1j30t3z said:
How about those stainless headers from eBay. A few people on here have them.
Support 'our guy' if possible: he caters to only the Ford i6 engine, is a member here, & has build/bought/learned from 'us'.
The SD is an exact duplicate as far as can be told so Y not go Vintage Inlines?

I reached out to Matt yesterday. Apparently his order of headers got shipped to SD and he won't have another order for a few months. That's fine by me, I would rather wait and order from him. Was just looking for any reviews on the imposter system, did some searching through the forum and got some good info. Thanks all.

Cheers,
M

That is a good choice to go with VI headers. Long tube headers are typically considered to help create more low end torque. VI headers should help create mid range to upper rpm power. That is the generally accepted consensus. I found a couple of youtube vids for shorty headers on six cylinder Mustangs mostly that sounded pretty good to me. Now that was vids from Roku to my Onkyo NR 626 to my 5.1 speakers by way of the ARC HDMI connection from flat screen to AVR.
If I find those vids I will send you links.

Matt has alota info on those as well. He worked for Waldron (google it) for a good while (don't they specalize in Imposters?) B4 opening up VI...
Again, he's been very 'giving' (of info, assistance, advice, prts) to me & can (has) assist(ed) others.
Give'm a try!
(y)

On a modified iron head go with headers with 1 1/2" primaries. The CI head has the flow for 1 5/8" primaries.
Depends on whether you have a 200 or a 250 engine. The 200 is a short stroke engine & relies on high RPM's where the 250" engine is a torquer & makes its power at mid-range.
Its a very complicated deal with a 200 i would go with a long tube header to boost the lack of low end & mid-range torque with a small primary pipe.
The 250" would probably better with shorter primaries cause it already has the true six low & mid-range torque.
Let your dyno or drag strip mph to be the final choice.
Rear gear ratio can make or break your combo plus all of the above.

bmbm knows em, not sure on any 1 wid "experience"
import fees probably make em outrageous...look 4 the similar hooker used~

wsa111":2z5mwndh said:
On a modified iron head go with headers with 1 1/2" primaries. The CI head has the flow for 1 5/8" primaries.
Depends on whether you have a 200 or a 250 engine. The 200 is a short stroke engine & relies on high RPM's where the 250" engine is a torquer & makes its power at mid-range.
Its a very complicated deal with a 200 i would go with a long tube header to boost the lack of low end & mid-range torque with a small primary pipe.
The 250" would probably better with shorter primaries cause it already has the true six low & mid-range torque.
Let your dyno or drag strip mph to be the final choice.
Rear gear ratio can make or break your combo plus all of the above.

This is the kind of knowledge and advice that makes this site so great.

Back