New guy questions

Thanks everyone,

I guess it comes down to how much power do I need? With the MGA weighing just over 2000lbs, I think 150hp and over 200ftlbs would serve me well.

If I can reach that goal with head mods, camshaft and carburetion then maybe I don’t need to get too far into it.

What say the experts?

Howdy Back All:

"If I can reach that goal with head mods, camshaft and carburetion then maybe I don’t need to get too far into it."

Add increased compression ratio and a good exhaust system for the complete package. That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Adios, David

Cribbs74":gf0uaff5 said:
Thanks everyone,

I guess it comes down to how much power do I need? With the MGA weighing just over 2000lbs, I think 150hp and over 200ftlbs would serve me well.

If I can reach that goal with head mods, camshaft and carburetion then maybe I don’t need to get too far into it.

What say the experts?

The weight of an installed 200 engine in full dress is slaightly less then 400 at 385 pounds. With a little work you can get that down a few more pounds say with a late style gear drive mini starter, small import type alternator, GMB aluminum water pump, etc. you can get real close to your H.P. power requirements (125 to 130 HP) and likely exceed the 200 Ft. lbs. torque with a modest budget, careful selection of parts and without a lot of work. With the torque of a Performace built 200 six in such a light weight car it sould be quite impressive.

X2 increased compression and a good exhaust is a great plan. If you need to regrind the crank consider offset grinding it to bring the pistion up to a zero deck height which would give you slightly more engine size too or you can mill the block some. Good luck it sould be a real fun ride. (y) :nod:

What’s up guys, this is my first post and thanks for accepting me to this vast collection of knowledge. Administration told me to make intro and wasn’t sure where to do that. First of all I just rescued a 1963 f100 from back yard, guy promised me it would start right up so I got to work his son had tried to lower it by putting rear axel under leaf springs with body lift kit and drive shaft hit bottom of bed??? But I put everything as it was, did tune up, added tires and sure enough a little gas in carb fired right up added pictures. I have many questions about truck but am not sure how to go about asking them or where? But I am new so lend a hand thanks

Attachments

• 41D84E1C-E955-4E82-9A70-4EF65384B720.jpeg
    41D84E1C-E955-4E82-9A70-4EF65384B720.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 64
  • EF23BF93-917D-4BF6-9D0E-EAC6B9183061.jpeg
    EF23BF93-917D-4BF6-9D0E-EAC6B9183061.jpeg
    886.9 KB · Views: 64
Welcome to the Ford Six site Marcorod, looks like a good solid truck to work with, the 1961 to 1966 trucks are a big faveriote of mine. However this is the forum for the small Ford six engines 144, 170, 200, & 250's so that won't be of much help on your pickup unless someone swapped in a small six, have also seen that a few times in the past too.

Since your truck is a 1963 it probally has one of the great 223 sixes, again unless someone swapped in something else. Have you ID'ed the engine yet? And if that's the case that it has a 223 you should probally use the Vintage Six Forum for postings regarding the engine, so you get more specific help and info. There are also forums for trans, suspention, brakes, etc. and even a forum for trucks in general too. In these you can make a new post in and get help and info from more site members. Good luck on your pickup! (y) :nod:

Vintage six engine forum

viewforum.php?f=18

click on this for even more:

index.php

scroll thru there 4 even more info re:'our site'
and post in "Intros"...we'll C if we can help Ron (the OP) any w/a 200.
So...

W E L C O M E !!!

stick round'n thanks for the pic!
8)

Back