Custom Forged Pistons

Omoitsurugi

So i've been looking around and found a place that said they could do a custom piston for 150-175 each, and it'd include rings pins and clips. I've been reading a little more though the Falcon handbook and it does recommend them if you plan to boost the engine or plan to run a higher than 10:1 cr.

What're your thoughts on the forged pistons?

-Andrew

A forged piston will take more abuse from high compression/boost than a stock or hypereutectic.
Forged pistons will deform before failing; stock and hypereutectic will crack/shatter.

Is it worth $900-$1000 for a set?
Depends on your pocketbook and how hard you plan on driving.

My $0.02.

Omoitsurugi":ic0s4mza said:
So i've been looking around and found a place that said they could do a custom piston for 150-175 each, and it'd include rings pins and clips. I've been reading a little more though the Falcon handbook and it does recommend them if you plan to boost the engine or plan to run a higher than 10:1 cr.

What're your thoughts on the forged pistons?

-Andrew
Just what you said. I use them..No secrets here, who was that place? :D
The clips suggest that you can go floating pin which makes piston change easy..No chance of damaging piston but rod will have to be reworked for them.

I think Racetec/Autotec pistons in CA is less $ by a few hundred ?
My 200 rebuild is finally progressing and I know my machinist just got my pistons from them, but I don't know the cost off hand. Might be worth checking/comparing costs ?
They were fast too, 1.5 weeks to ship them...
DannyG

DannyG":2pnf0tam said:
I think Racetec/Autotec pistons in CA is less $ by a few hundred ?
My 200 rebuild is finally progressing and I know my machinist just got my pistons from them, but I don't know the cost off hand. Might be worth checking/comparing costs ?
They were fast too, 1.5 weeks to ship them...
DannyG

Gonna try and get a hold of them but it seems as though their website is blocked from Spain. At least from my phone. Haha. I'll try it from a computer later.

cast or forged, that is always a question to be asked when building an engine. i say it depends on what you are doing with the engine. cast piston, especially quality ones, can take a substantial amount of abuse before they break. so ask yourself these questions;

1: are you going to run a lot of boost pressure, say more than 6-8psi?

2: are you going to run nitrous of more than about a 100hp shot, regularly?

3: is this going to be an endurance type race engine with a lot of compression and running at higher rpms regularly? meaning running more than 10:! compression and running in the 2500-7000 rpm range regularly, accelerating off corners, etc.

if any of these questions has a yes answer to them, then go with the forged pistons. otherwise even with 10:1 compression a street engine doesnt need forged pistons, even one that is used at the track regularly.

thanks,
that's the Qs I was gunna ask about - minimum need
in the upgrade decision tree.

Same applies to other forged parts?

rbohm":3a1soswa said:
cast or forged, that is always a question to be asked when building an engine. i say it depends on what you are doing with the engine. cast piston, especially quality ones, can take a substantial amount of abuse before they break. so ask yourself these questions;

2: are you going to run nitrous of more than about a 100hp shot, regularly?

3: is this going to be an endurance type race engine with a lot of compression and running at higher rpms regularly? meaning running more than 10:! compression and running in the 2500-7000 rpm range regularly, accelerating off corners, etc.

if any of these questions has a yes answer to them, then go with the forged pistons. otherwise even with 10:1 compression a street engine doesnt need forged pistons, even one that is used at the track regularly.

I'll keep this in mind as a I start sending parts to my parents house for the rebuild. We're already planning on boring for the rebuild, looking to increasing the CA spec compression ratio, most likely milling the head while it's off and taking some off the top of the block as well.

Are forged pistons heavier than cast?

I think in the end i'm aiming for 200hp+ w/o turbo/supercharger; and after suspension and brakes are done looking at doing a turbo or twin-scroll turbo for track use. I'd like to make it a trackable/handling car, along the lines of a pro touring/daily driver; not so much into drag strip (blasphemy!).

Once i get the car back in my hands pictures and a build thread will come. (Will also post in 'other' in-lines my '89 LandCruiser.)

Cheers!

-Andrew

Omoitsurugi":2m1i5aii said:
[/quote=rbohm]

Are forged pistons heavier than cast?

generally no. while there are some lightweight cast pistons, most forgings are lighter than a similar sized cast piston. the reason is that cast pistons usually get embedded steel bits cast into the piston to control expansion, where as forged pistons use oval grinding, and slots to control expansion.

I think in the end i'm aiming for 200hp+ w/o turbo/supercharger; and after suspension and brakes are done looking at doing a turbo or twin-scroll turbo for track use. I'd like to make it a trackable/handling car, along the lines of a pro touring/daily driver; not so much into drag strip (blasphemy!).

Cheers!

-Andrew

ok since you do have plans to run a turbo, as well as increase the compression ratio, then go ahead now and build the short block to handle the power.

As I'm now at the point of buying the parts for my mustang for the engine rebuild does anyone have the exact specifications for forged pistons, if I bored .30 over? I'm going to order the other rebuild parts soon. gonna look in the performance handbook today.

:thanks:
- Andrew

Andrew

Before you order pistons you need to know what compression ratio the engine will need in order to specify the piston dish volume.
The cylinder head combustion chamber volume and the camshaft timing determines the best compression ratio so you need to know those things first.

pmuller9":ujrpv2tt said:
Andrew

Before you order pistons you need to know what compression ratio the engine will need.
The cylinder head combustion chamber volume and the camshaft timing determines the best compression ratio so you need to know those things first.

Thanks. I think for the mid term, to get the car running I'm gonna order some flat top pistons from rock auto... i think just before i order the VI head (when i can) I'll get all the math down to get the right compression ratio. But as mine is a CA (San Jose) spec anything to increase the CR even just a little will help. at least from what i've been reading in the Ford Six Performance handbook.

- Andrew

"...the Performance handbook is up for a Vol. 2..."
sure....but:

we got" [glow=red]Tech Archive[/glow]"
and
"[glow=red]General Tech: READ ONLY[/glow]"

compendium ("T.A.") & forum ("G.T.: R.O") Right Here on the fordsix site!

'S great stuff, more need to know about them both!
:beer:
:eek:

chad":3n90i1tw said:
"...the Performance handbook is up for a Vol. 2..."
sure....but:

we got" [glow=red]Tech Archive[/glow]"
and
"[glow=red]General Tech: READ ONLY[/glow]"

compendium ("T.A.") & forum ("G.T.: R.O") Right Here on the fordsix site!

'S great stuff, more need to know about them both!
:beer:
:eek:

It's nice to be able to search on a forum, stickied posts and to get other opinions. But it's nice to have a one place to go easy to read format like a book. If I was more an engineer, I'd write it and offer it for free, ebook or otherwise. But alas I'm just a novice!

I forgot to add that a set of six forged 4032 alloy pistons from Autotec are just over $500.

pmuller9":7cu0v3o5 said:
I forgot to add that a set of six forged 4032 alloy pistons from Autotec are just over $500.

That's really not a bad price. I was getting quoted for around 150-175 from wiseco.

Don't assume that your block will make a .030" overbore. Have the machine shop clean and rough bore the block first before you order pistons. Some companies wont accept returns if you order the wrong size. The same goes for bearings as well, have the shop verify what size the journal's will make before ordering bearings.

CNC-Dude":tc17yldp said:
Don't assume that your block will make a .030" overbore. Have the machine shop clean and rough bore the block first before you order pistons. Some companies wont accept returns if you order the wrong size. The same goes for bearings as well, have the shop verify what size the journal's will make before ordering bearings.

Thanks, that's actually really good advice. I haven't ordered anything yet, was waiting on word from the mechanic before I ordered everything.

Thank you,
Andrew

Back