HEI Distributor Installation

Boy, that's an expensive proposition, I'm not sure a started would B needed...but
some of us use the ford 3.8 stang v6 starter to get around the SD and VI shorty headers.

Check all the connections, condition of the wiring ect. How old is the solenoid? Maybe replace that, check tdc to the balancer as best you can with the head on, fab a heat shield out of some flashing or drier duct if all else fails, then buy a starter imo.

I have had slightly harder starting since going to an hei that depends on the initial advance, but it always starts right up hot... And it always starts, but depending on where it is in the stroke it may turn slow in the first turn then it fires, hot or cold. But generally it turns fast. I have a 2 bolt starter and used one for an early 90's auto. Ford only made 2 different 2 bolt starter flanges from the 60's into at least the 90's afaik and the difference is whether it's an auto or a manual. The starter bore of the manual trans bells are slightly larger, but otherwise the bolt centers and the starters look the same. With the 3 bolts ones I think it's the same but the choices are much more limited, esp with small starters like they used on my 92 F150. You have to go aftermarket and pay big $$ for 3 bolts I guess

Advance Auto has starters for a 3.8 V-6
Carquest #3205 $90-$130
Nippondendo style 72-18273N $170 area
These are 2 bolt starters, but i guess the 2 match the out bolt pattern of a 3 bolt???

I'm not saying they are the same Bill. Just that I think there are auto and manual versions of the 3 bolt starters. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

I dont know about you because you have the 250 but when i had the 170 in the econoline i had to put a good size dent in the dog house for clearance

Yeah ok, I understand now.

You know, there really isn't any technical need to use an HEI body unless you want the coil to be in the cap. HEI and Duraspark distributors both use the same means to fire the coil. iow, you can fire an HEI coil with an HEI module using a duraspark distributor. A DSII distributor firing a GM remote HEI coil or a Ford TFI coil is no different from an early style HEI distributor and may be better depending on the remote coil and the module you're using.

Back