Vacuum Line Setup

ssg66stang

Before this weekend comes around and I install the new distributor I want to be sure that I cover all my bases and get this installation correct. But I still have a few issues I need to work out with my vacuum. I want to be sure that I set it up correctly so please let me know if I am missing something or if there is any issues with my thinking.

Firstly, I am planning on using the vacuum port on the intake log and one on the carb spacer a few inches above the the one on the log to supply the vacuum for the car. From what I have researched and gathered, there are four vacuum lines that I need to run. one to the transmission(currently hooked up to the port in the log), one to the distributor, one to the PCV valve, and one to the brake booster. Is that correct?

I was planning on using the vacuum port in the intake log (T it off) to run a line to the transmission and one to the brake booster. I was going to use the port on the carb spacer (T it off) to run a line to the pcv valve and the distributor. Is that a solid plan?

I currently have a breather in the valve cover where the PCV valve would go. Is there any benefit to me putting in a PCV valve instead of the breather cap? Would the car be easier to tune with a PCV valve or breather cap?

Is the vacuum from these two ports enough to run to these four lines? I was also planning on running hard steel lines instead of rubber lines, I think it would look better. Is there any issues with hard lines vs. rubber lines? The only issue that I know I will have with hard lines is that the last few inches of line going to the distributor will need to be rubber so the dizzy can be rotated for adjustment. Am I missing anything?

Does anyone happen to have any pictures of running hard lines for fuel and vacuum?

As always, thanks for the help and advice!!!

Hi, carb spacer is a good place for the large PCV hose, which is always drawing vacuum. The other three don't "use" vacuum, they just pull the diaphrams. I don't have power brakes, but I know the hose is large, and would probably tee it with the C4 modulater. If you still have the 66 LOM distributor you need to hook it to the valve on the carb factory style. If you changed to a modern ignition many guys use the ported vacuum on the carb, which is what I like. Some guys like direct vacuum for the distributor, and if you want to use direct vacuum, try it with the brake, and modulator tee.
Try to explain your PCV system. You should have two openings in the valve cover. A grommet for the PVC valve, and an oil filler cap. The oil filler cap should be either a venting style, or a sealing style which connects to the air cleaner with a hose. Either cap allows fresh air to enter the engine and replace the air that is drawn into the intake manifold by the PCV valve.
Good luck

Back