Power saving options

falcon_master

Hi everyone. I still haven't done anything more to my small six as I've been away for school but I was think maybe instead of trying so hard to increase power maybe i should save it instead. I know that when the power was rated it was gross power without any accessories or exhaust system. So I was thinking modern cars have electric fan and some even have electric water pumps which I know is one of the main power killers. So I was thinking is it possible to run an electric water pump and fan setup on these like do they even sell electric pumps that fit and is it worth the Xtra cost and complexity in electrical system to fit this. Thanks everyone.
Oh and by the way I do have a small six performance handbook just left it at my other house in Colorado. ( I know I'm upset at myself for being stupid)

Is it the Conture fan (duals) & Bosch H2O pump they use in these?
Not sure but I'd guess wildly = 10 HP returned?

I (personally) wouldn't worry bout power, tq is king & these i6 got it.
The rig in my pic here were mostly made w/the same 170 u got.

I think that replacing the fan with an electric one may save more than 10hp. Theres these guys on YouTube called Engine Masters (same guys from Roadkill), and they tested this theory with a chevy 350. The stock fan ate 30 hp. They tried different fans and the one that ate the least was a clutch style fan, and that ate like 10hp or something. So maybe its something to look into. Im debating the same for my Ranchero.

One question though, do all fans kick in when the key is turned on, or is it engine based temp? If so, i might not need to keep putting cardboard in front of the radiator in the winter :beer:

Thanks and good luck
Ryan

I think most act only at start up to lower power needs for that purpose. But there are some that are thermostaticly controlled.

a guy in Australia put an electric water pump on -when he put a crossflow austalian 6 in .

just used one of those davies craig water pumps - mounted it to the side of the engine bay .

ie

500x500-thumbnail-1434696121.8025SmallFile.jpg

the clever bit was he 'gutted' the original ford six water pump -ie removed impeller + shaft and plugged the impeller shaft hole with freeze plug and connected the davies craig pump outlet with rad hose to the original inlet of the pump.

I've also been researching the Davies Craig one. You will need a strongeralternator though to run all this. The higher output alternator do take more power to turn, so it's not all "free".

One of the best power savers is a clutch type fan (Thermostic type) it will turn the fan on only when you need it (at its set temperature) the rest of the time it is off and free wheels. This will save gas and give back some lost horse power they are fairly easy to install, highly reliable, and can be relatively inexpensive too. Good luck on your Falcon build. (y) :nod:

how much extra room do they need, I C them on the shafts sometimes but can't tell.

Back