Placement of Performance Muffler

rzcrisis

Supporter 2019
Hello All

'63 Falcon 2 DR Sedan......I am looking at replacing my stock exhaust with a 2" exhaust to a performance muffler such as a Dynomax Turbo but looking at the dimensions Of the muffler I am not sure this will fit in the small cavity behind the axle in between the gas tank and right rear quarter (where original stock muffler is located). Has anyone installed one of these in front of the axle and then just run a pipe over the axle and out to a tail pipe? Will it be high enough in this spot and not interfere with the driveshaft or underbody contours?

Advise is as always appreciated.

Randy

2 thoughts:
careful of heat (what's above) where u pudid
&
U can do what I've seen & weld those lill metal/rubber strap hangars anywhere.
(I've seen em tacked hard to body cross members, frames'n everywhere. The regular U clamps
go on the metal finger/lip @ the end. Makes a solid (too rigid?) mount for any pipes OR muffler).
(y)

Howdy

My 65 Ranchero has its muffler kinda under the passenger seat, maybe slightly furthrr back. I have no problems with it. The guy even did a Y-pipe from right where thr rear end is to the back so it looks like duals

Good Luck,
Ryan

Hi, I have a Smitty muffler on my pickup. Also cherry bombs are not much wider than the exhaust pipe. Good luck

I also use Smithy (sp?) mufflers under rear seat area on dual out Hookers exiting in front of rear wheels. The Smithy's are aggressive sounding but never raspy like glass pacs were and don't have the dreaded six-drone in this configuration on the built 250 Comet:

I run dual OEM's in same setup on the daily driver on my '63 170 more-door wagon for quiet interstate cruising with the family .

I highly recommend adding a 'flex fitting' with any header setup.

have fub

Thanks all for your ideas and input. I am thinking after reading these I may do a mock up using original exhaust and some other pieces from PO to see what would fit best. I don't want to just take to a muffler shop and let them get too creative. I do want a performance muffler not just a glass pack and plan on 2" pipe but still using manifold and no headers. This may change if I eventually swap out the 144 for a 200 down the road.

Powerband....thanks for the pics of your setup ......what is the "dreaded six-drone" you mentioned?

Randy

Hey Randy,

I have a 2" stainless exhaust system with a single stainless Porter steel packed muffler in the stock position in my Fairlane. Their mufflers are slightly smaller in diameter then the stock muffler so it should fit in the stock location on your car, but definitely check the specs on that. The Porter is deep and mean sounding yet fairly quiet at idle and cruising speeds but gets a little more aggressive and louder under heavy acceleration. I dig the sound and like they always say, 'loud pipes save lives'.

Chris

Powerband....thanks for the pics of your setup ......what is the "dreaded six-drone" you mentioned?

Sixes in certain exhaust config' can tend to drone or have an exaggerated harmonic low sound at speeds usually right around the lower RPM cruise range.

When I first got the 170 wagon, it had a blown OEM muffler in stock config next to tank which I replaced with a generic glasspack 'turbo' type. At medium speed-cruise the loud drone quickly gave me a headache and was removed and replaced with an OEM.

I also tried a big generic NAPA oval type baffled muffler. It didn't drone but was raspy and sounded like an old six cyl dump truck...

have fun

Back