Weber DCOE?

following on from my post here
viewtopic.php?p=599047#p599047

about paul knotts falcon 170 with triple DCOE here are the pics of the most recent manifold - has changed out the blue flex hose connectors for bent shiny manifold inlets .
two photos from different times : note bellmouth changes and heat shield - but with same inlet manifolds

slowhoon":1t3jpgw5 said:
Omoitsurugi":1t3jpgw5 said:
Alan,

With the japanese motorbike carbs, that was exactly my thought. I'd have to pretty much build something completely from the ground up with them, tuning would be almost impossible. with the Weber's i'd have more options on getting it exactly right, there's books out there on how to get them working properly, etc...

I'd love to see more of your engine, and pick your brain more. I wish i could get my hands on a 2v head at least until i could afford a alum one. I still have the stock head, the plan was to get another stock head and try to modify that and shave off the intake manifold build a new one and tap the head of the "stock head" the reason for the kinda round about way is cuase my engine is completely numbers matching, i'd like to be able to just swap the head for the most part if i ever wanted to (when i hand it down to my daughter, etc...)

Really excited you replied because (selfish reasons), at least ask for some pictures to help with my planning. Your track toy looks like a fun project!

Cheers,
Andrew :beer:

Hi Andrew,

Okay, so I'm back from the racing thing now. Before I go any further I should make it clear that I can take next to no credit for this car (called the Triford Special) - it was built by a couple of guys in 1972 and restored by my friend that owned it before me. It has had plenty of owners in the intervening years (some of whom I have met). It is now considered a historic race car here in New Zealand - just not as historic as something like a Formula 5000!

Originally it had a log manifold head with the log cut off and inlet tracts/flanges welded on. This head (and chromed valve cover with offset oil filler hole) disappeared from the car in the late 1970s but by pure chance we found it advertised in a buy/sell/exchange newspaper a few years ago. The head may not be completely original (inasmuch as the inlet tracts may have been cut off one head and welded onto another one and the vacuum take off on number 6 inlet is not original) but the valve cover is definitely the genuine article.

Anyway, here's a shot of the carbs that are currently on the car:
A.jpg

Yeah, it's all a bit grubby - this is no show pony under the hood.

Here's a close up of the linkage between the left carb and centre (center) carb:
F.jpg

Next up are the 40DCOE Webers that were on the Triford when I bought it. Note the more traditional style linkage arrangement, which apparently is harder to synchronize at throttle positions between idle and full throttle because there may well be any number of components that are not perfectly straight/even/unworn etc. At least this is what the Weber expert told me...
Aa.jpg

Here is what we believe to be the original head (I have photos taken in 1972 of the original build and while they are not as clear as the ones I'm posting, they do show the head looking very much like this and in far better condition):
H.jpg
I.jpg
J.jpg
M.jpg

I've mentioned the valve cover and not shown it - so here it is with the engine on a stand:
N.jpg

I hope this helps or at the very least entertains!

Cheers,
Alan.

Alan,

Do you know how much power yours is putting to the wheels?

Thanks again,
Andrew

Alan,

Thanks again,
Andrew.

--------------
Andrew,

About 92 kilowatts, which according to the internet is 123 horsepower (at 5200rpm).

Alan.

slowhoon":21vcyzk7 said:
Alan,

Thanks again,
Andrew.

--------------
Andrew,

About 92 kilowatts, which according to the internet is 123 horsepower (at 5200rpm).

Alan.

Alan,

Thanks for the quick response!

-Andrew

Alan - none of the 8 pic came out on my screen in (is it?) post #21.

chad":9ts9wz7y said:
Alan - none of the 8 pic came out on my screen in (is it?) post #21.

Chad,

Alan's posts #11 and #17, #11 has pictures of the Race Car itself on there and you can see the side drafts coming out of the side of the car. And #17 Has images of just the engine, out of the body. It's actually a pretty beautiful piece.

Just make sure you're logged in when trying to look at the pictures? Hope that helps.

- Andrew

thanks, sounds like repeats.
Da best is utube interview/track vids!
Nice lill team there.

Back