How much can you safely deck a 250 block.

65-coupe

Just seeing if I can zero deck a 250 block. I have a set of new ol;d stock forged pistons I plan to use.

Thanks Brian

The safest thing is a minimal clean up cut... The deck is your foundation..Ford made these blocks to save money..They may seam solid but it would shock you if use measured the bore after the head is torqued down and that effects ring seal..
Is there not a longer rod that someone here just tried that worked well, 2.5 ???

65-coupe":2az6lggt said:
Just seeing if I can zero deck a 250 block. I have a set of new ol;d stock forged pistons I plan to use.
Thanks Brian
Can U measure 2C what U have for deck now?
Can U do the math on the current rotating assembly?

The 2 numbers together will answ the Q. correctly.

Then U can C what can get U closer to 0 w/o a machining (including dishes, offset grind, etc).
Make sense?
:unsure::

Howdy back Brian:

I can say from experience that .070" is doable. That's what I did to mine. Probably not a good idea. What is your engines deck height? Mine was .150". At some point structural integrity becomes and issue.

If I were to do another 250, I start by using the 255 V8 pistons which are .085" taller than 200/250 pistons. But you said you had a set of forged stock 250 pistons you intend to use. You could also consider offset grinding the crank to raise the pistons up another .010" to .12". Also check out the Tempo rods recently discussed here.

PS- hold off on head work until you have figured out dimensions or your CR will be through the roof.

Keep us posted.

Adios, David

Back