Tachometer for my 144ci

rzcrisis

Supporter 2019
Hello All

I would like a tach for my 63 Falcon 144ci. I am thinking the best place is one mounted on bottom edge of dash just under choke, heater controls, angled up for view. I don't want to mount on top of dash and there is no room on the steering column with my 3 OTT. Anyone have a suggestion on a tach that would work and could mount this way? I see some on Macs and other sites but they are $400+ USD so out of my financial reach. I would like one that looks fairly vintage preferably with no sending box....a standalone unit.

Thanks for your input as always.
Randy

I'm surprised a "hose clamp" style holder won't place a really thin 1 right frnt'n center in front of speedo. May even block that, but not sure I can't picture the cabin & this area very well... it's been a few yrs. The rig shown w/my info is done this way.
Others can B mounted flush IN the dash. If U did this too far to the right U could tip the face toward U so as 2B able 2 still see it...
Good Luck, keep talkin~

Yes too tight on column. Will block speedo Chad. This is why I am thinking on bottom edge of dash facing up towards driver. I don't want to butcher the dash for mount on top or in dash anywhere.

Thx
Randy

No need for a huge Tach or an expensive Tach. Just be sure it works on a SIX engine. Also many modern tachs swing to 10K RPM and our small block sixes typically tap out @ 4-5 K.

$ 35.oo 2-1/2" 'mini' tach in my 63 170 wagon from Summit :

https://www.summitracing.com/search/par ... tachometer

On the '61 i ran wire through the defroster vent and use a longer screw in the vent fastener to secure 3-3/8" tach ($ 40.oo)

have fun

Yes you should be able to find a tach for much less. Maybe a bit more if you want a vintage look. Go to Summit or other place like that. I have seen actual vintage used tachs on ebay. I have also seen an Autometer brand vintage tach I am pretty sure. I noticed this one which appears to have a mounting bracket that could attach to the flat edge at the bottom of the dash. Not vintage but only about $40.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2886

3 1/2 inches, should B able 2 C that 1 down by ur knees, nice white face...

Howdy Randy and All:

First, what is your intended use for your tach?

FYI- Mounting the tach low makes it very difficult to read and dangerous when driving.

Also, look for a tach that has a 0 - 6,000 rpm with a 270 degree sweep. It's unlikely that your 144 will rev past 4,500 rpms. If I'm wrong about that, I sure like to hear more about your engine. The 270 sweep will be easier to read and more useful for tuning.

IIRC, I found mine in a Jegs catalog for about $75. These are some things to consider.

Adios, Davdi

Thanks all for your excellent input and ideas as always. Since my 144 is just stock right now, I am looking at its intended use as more for tuning right now. I also just like the looks of them in the "cockpit".

I like the idea of mounting on the defroster/speaker grill Powerband. I only want a small one similar to what Chad has sent links for. That might work and look at staying away from mounting it low for safety reasons as David suggested.

Now if our weather here in Southern Ontario would just warm up from the negative numbers I would be really happy! 8)

Randy

Now if our weather here in Southern Ontario would just warm up from the negative numbers I would be really happy! 8)

... only 'work' possible here - right now is rotating the battery trickle chargers on the cars, tractors and equipment when I can get through to the barn.

have fun

"...Southern Ontario would just warm up..."
/&/
"...when I can get through to the barn."
more commin too. It's fallin here right now.

BTW: Summit was more fruitful: 778 tach listed 4 sale!

A follow up to this thread. I have installed a 2.5" tach purchased from Princess Auto here in Ontario for $35CDN which meets my needs. I was able to install at bottom of dash and face up to the driver position which seems to be safe enough. Primary purpose is for tuning and secondary purpose for monitoring from the cockpit. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 47
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 47
nice - @ that price I wuz thinkin: 1 in engine bay, 1 in driving compartment?

Back