Tear down

64-5mustang

I've finally starting the tear down of my 200. The motor had a real rough idle felt low on power really hated to start moving but was fine after 1100 rpm , the plugs were showing the tune was spot on. Got the head off and saw that cylinders were just plain worn out. Took the timing corver off and saw that the chain was a tad loose it was rubbing on the corver. I think this was the source of most of not all myour issues I'll post a video of the play in it. I do hope the link works.

https://youtu.be/MWxjibt_vKw

yep, came through - is visable. Seems way more'n loose, @least
That's the loosest I've ever seen!

Some go w/a double when replacing.
If ur doin a total rebuild ck our "machinest recomendations" forum for a local
and
Matt at vintage inlines for all ur engine prts needs.
(y)

Howdy Back 64-5mustang:

"I may not know the history of this engen but I'm sure that its been around, as the block is two different blues. Head number is G6DE-6080-B block is 06DE-6015-B that first 0 may be wrong exhaust manifold C3DE-9430". This was posted last Sept.

Do you have any update and/or clarifications on the casting codes since then? Is your rebuild plans using your current Head? Does this head have adjustable rocker arms?

I recall reading about your exhaust system, H/W carb, HEI ignition and your plans to upgrade the cam. Do you have other engine upgrade prior to your plans for this rebuild?

More info and keep it coming.

Adios, David

Well at this point you may want to look for a later large log head to replace the 66 head you have now. It will work well with a larger cam and your H/W carb.

Got a 77 head in the process of a direct 2 barrel.
I will make a spacer just to clear the valve cover and 1.5 exhaust valve . I have adjustable rockers, saft is shot have a new set comming as well as a 264 cam. I'm having the block punched as needed. Looking like 20 over. Aiming for a compression of 9.5.

Attachments

• 20180122_122214.jpg
    20180122_122214.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 50
  • 20180122_122158.jpg
    20180122_122158.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 50
What did you use to build up your intake before you milled it down?
Did you use a hand grinder to make the flat surface for your adaptor plate?

Oh yeah, that's the good stuff. Nice work too on that big log head. Wish I had those skills.

I built it up with nickle rod got it mostly flat with a grinder still opening the port then I'll have it trued when it gets machined, same on the exhaust divider. Just got to be careful welding cast to hot to fast and it's junk.

Back