Autolite 1101 Question

65 Mustang

Hi Guys. Getting ready to rebuild and install autolite 1101 on my 200 ci. Can anyone identify the purpose of the brass tube coming out of the top of the barrel (near the choke plate)? It is not present on my 1100. I thought it might be for distributor vacuum but that, I believe, is to the right of the SCV. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 85920189-E6F6-47E9-AB4C-36171A6E9C74.jpeg
    85920189-E6F6-47E9-AB4C-36171A6E9C74.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 276
Hi. Just to be clear. I realize there are two brass tubes near choke plate. I am referring to the one that points towards the passenger side of the car. Thanks again.

That tube is hooked up to the air cleaners base with a rubber hose, if your air cleaner dosent have the hookup you can plug it off. Or you could also mod the air cleaner and install a nipple fitting to hookup the hose if you wanted. Good luck (y) :nod: Edited

Howdy 65 Mustang:

Can you find any date code stampings on the base of your carb? Do you know if this carb came off of a car or a pickup? I am assuming that you will be using this carb along with a Load-O-Matic distributor. Is that correct?

Looking forward to the info. Thanks for sharing.

Adios, David

Hi David,

The date code on the carburetor is C5AF. I know the C5 stands for 1965, but I do not know what the AF indicates. Not sure if it came off a car or pickup. I purchased the carb off of eBay. Would there be a difference if it came off of a pickup? Yes, will be using this carb with the Load-O-Matic distributor.

Howdy Back:

My guess is that it came from a vehicle with a 223 inline six from either a car or pickup. Jetting and internal plumbing could be slightly different between a car and a truck application. Have you taken it apart to check internals. Also check for the jet stamp. FYI, these are details that should not matter a lot. The carb should be a nice improvement for your engine.

The extra brass tube can be plugged.

What is this carb going on? More details please.

Adios, David

65 Mustang":3gxoust5 said:
Hi David,
The date code on the carburetor is C5AF. I know the C5 stands for 1965, but I do not know what the AF indicates. Not sure if it came off a car or pickup. I purchased the carb off of eBay. Would there be a difference if it came off of a pickup? Yes, will be using this carb with the Load-O-Matic distributor.
Not necessarialy. You may have block codes (near down pipe of exhaust) grouped w/carb codes.
I C the code you've given as an autolite 1100, 1963 - 1965 (& ur pic can B IDed as same).

Thanks for info on codes. I actually have a metal tag that came with it which has all ID numbers. It’s pretty fragile so I took it off. I’ll have to find it for exact numbers.

The carb will be going on an 1965 200 ci. I got the cylinder head back from machine shop a while ago. Currently I’ve been running it with my old carb, but over the next week or so I’d like to have this one on there. My machinist made a spacer plate just for the 1101 (check pic) as it will not fit on original carb spacer plate.

Attachments

• 904A00E0-1276-49C1-989D-593CF5BE9E36.jpeg
    904A00E0-1276-49C1-989D-593CF5BE9E36.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 205
  • DEEC0C68-14D0-4DC5-8278-5ECD867E6C28.jpeg
    DEEC0C68-14D0-4DC5-8278-5ECD867E6C28.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 205
Howdy:

Nice work on the adaptor. I would prefer to make it a little smaller, but straight milling is sure easier that round cuts. Did the machinist that did your head also enlarge to carb hole in the log?

I'm getting anxious to hear how it all works out. Are you upgrading the LoM distributor too?

Adios, David

You still have the loadamatic carb.
I would suggest replacing it with a 69 250" carb which does not have the loadmatic design.
If you do this you can now upgrade to a DS1 or DS11 distributor which has centrifugal advance & a vacuum advance system.
You could also my HEI which is a one wire hookup.
You can modify your present carb to eliminate the SCV system & of course upgrade your distributor.
viewtopic.php?f=99&t=76821
You will see a noticeable increase in power & driveability.
Nice adapter you made.

Thanks for info wsa111. At the moment, I’m going to stick with the 1101 because it’s compatible with my distributor. Perhaps in future I’ll make upgrade. I did, however, put a Petronix electronic ignition into the load-o-matic, so at least the points are gone.

Yes, David, I had the intake bored open to 1.75 inches from the 1.5. A three angle valve job and a back cut on the intake valves was done as well. I’m hopeful that all of this will get a bit more air in there. I’m anxious as well to get the engine started with the new carb. I just need to give it a real good cleaning and then rebuild it. I’ll keep you posted.

I though all 1101's were non-LoM? Did they make 1101's before 68? It sounds like you have an 1100 or the tag was swapped at some carb change. You need a DSII, like Bill said. It's a dirt cheap swap with salvage or even new parts for around $125 last time I checked. With an HEI module and new wires. Do the wiring or find a junkyard harness and modify it if needed for $5-10 or free. All the oem connectors are available except 1

any concerns with looking odd (updated, weird, not oem, etc) are avoided with this upgrade in MPGs, pep, reliability, etc...

Howdy Back All:
Econoline- The 1101 was used in 1963 -'65 on 223 sixes in full size For cars and pickups.

'65 Mustang- It sounds like a good head rebuild. Was it also milled to compensate for the thicker, composite head gasket? CR? What are your plans for exhaust improvement?

If you want a hotter spark from your current ignition system look into the PetroniX Flamethrower coil.

What is this engine going into?

Adios, David

Yes, the head was milled 20 thousandths of an inch. I wasn't sure if it had been milled once before and didn't want to over do it. Figured this was a safe amount. It actually brought my compression up by 20-25 psi per cylinder. So now I'm just at the low end of normal (about 155 psi) for my compression. I am happy with this at the moment. If I ever have the block done in the future, I can have that milled a little to bring the compression up a bit more.

I actually did add the flamethrower ignition coil when I put the electronic ignition in. Big improvement.

As far as the exhaust goes, I have it stock for now. Although, I did bring it in to have it completely cleaned and milled so that it has a good mating surface with the cylinder head. Perhaps in the future, I'll put some short headers on.

Looking to spend some time tomorrow cleaning and rebuilding the carb. Hopefully I can fit it on the car by afternoon or evening.

Howdy Back:

That sounds like a good plan. Have you checked the valve cover for clearance with the new adaptor?

When you get to the bottom end rebuild we will need to talk about your options on raising the CR for the best benefit.

This is bring back memories on my first upgrade on a ratty, old '65 Ranchero. I went with a '67 centrifugal advance distributor and an 1101 carb from a '69 Ranchero with a 250 six. I was thrilled with the difference. The down-side was- I wanted even more. What a trip. Enjoy the journey and keep us posted. I'm anxious. Did you happen to take any "pre" performance data, for comparison?

Adios, David

Yes. Clearances are all good. Valve cover fits fine and hood closes. I have been spending a lot of time cleaning carb. Got it to a point where I’m ready to start rebuilding. Have another question, though. It concerns what I believe is called the vent tube. The piece of plastic running horizontal across the carb in pic. It gets attached to accelerator pump. That carb is my old one (the 1100). My 1101 did not come with one. I’ve seen pics of autolites where it is just plugged up. My question is, should I remove the tube from my old carb and place it on 1101 or simply plug up opening on 1101. Would it affect performance if vent tube is not there? Also, what does that tube do anyway? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• C0BFC50D-5303-4F9B-96C5-817AD2DE2FC0.jpeg
    C0BFC50D-5303-4F9B-96C5-817AD2DE2FC0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 118
Howdy Back:

IIWIYS, I'd plug it for now. The other brass tube that angles down from just inside the car throat also vents the fuel bowl so it is well vented already. However, since you have a vent cap on your 1100 you could certianly swap it over.

Adios, David

Ended up getting the vent hole plugged. However, ran into problem during rebuild. One of pieces got lost :banghead:. It’s the piece of metal wire that runs from throttle linkage to piece of plastic that opens and closes choke plate. You can see it in my original pic. It runs vertical behind barrel of carb. Anyhow, this has slowed me down a bit. Still figuring out what to do. I don’t have too much confidence that I’ll be able to find a replacement piece. I’m trying to figure out how to make something up. Any ideas?

Back