Milling off log head intake

Firebolt

Hi, I haven't seen any pictures of project like this, has anyone seen them? I know it's been done a few times, I have one small log head that would be good for some tests.

Yes, there are quite a few threads here discussing it and showing it done. Just do a search and see what pops up.

* Ron Ward (I think is the name) has, in my opinion, the best utube on it...3 vid series I think.

He came on here & cross posted w/us awhile (ago).
Uses 4 Keihin (but Mikuni's my bet on better) carbs, shows how to make intakes (almost right offa i4 bike w/lill to no adaptation).
* Lynx (Down Under) has something for intake, several in GB as well...

* No 1 (vid/on-line) shows much on linkage but theres abuncha commercial fabers with bolt on kits (at least 2 for i6) @ 3-6K$ or so.

* AK Miller's mid or late 60s articles in hot rod mags.

Thanks guys, I need to do better searching.

I'm not sure if I'm going to destroy my head at all, but it is already in my garage and I don't know anyone who would pay for that. I know one '69 head for sale here in Finland, but i think its better to destroy this small log intake/head than something that could work.

Those crossflow heads are still looking good for me, but it looks like I can't get one for now, so i'll be looking those later. IF I'll mill my intake, I think I'll do new one similar to crossflow EFI intake.

I did it a few years ago, I'm sure my post is on here somewhere. It is a lot of work, I suggest you just mill off the intake and leave the exhaust alone. Good luck!
Walt

Thanks, I saw some photos of your setup. Have you any pictures of the head without intake and exhaust? Or some of the adapter plate? I don't want to touch exhaust side, except installing port divider between 3 & 4 ports. Is it necessary to weld something to head?

I made an adaptor plate and bolted everything, no welding at all on mine. It worked pretty good, made 440whp and 501 foot lbs at 18 lbs. but to be honest the same combo with the alum head would have made a lot more. I did it more because I wanted to for a long time and I wanted to see if I could do it all on my own.

Those alloy heads are just too hard to get here, and too expensive. I'm not looking for extra power, just a bit more reliability with EFI, and maybe a few more MPG... Starting the car here without choke is very hard.

Back