Help finding a carb that fits

Joej27

I have a 200 that came out of a 68 mustang. When I got it, it had a Holley 1904 that someone had drilled and tapped holes in the log to mount the carb. The bolt spacing was originally much wider than the 1904 mounts. Vacuum leaks were awful with this set up. I had a guy machine an adapter to fit the original manifold holes and fit the 1904. Still doesnt seem to want to run just right though.

Id like to change out carbs, but am having problems finding one that matches up with the original bolt spacing. Ive tried an autolite 1100, 1101, carter yf, and a holley 1940. None of them will line up with the bolt pattern on the manifold.

Ive also tried to source a factory spacer online that fits the original manifold bolt spacing. No luck there either. The ones Ive found have all been for the narrower spacing that fits the 1904 bolt pattern. Is my only option to have another spacer machined and hope I can run a new carb off of it?

It sounds like you are missing the "orientation" adapter. You can make one out of aluminum, penolic, or even wood. On the small log engines the adapter is the one with the coolant running through it, on the large log engines it looks more like part of the carb, but doesn't come with the carb. Unfortunately they are very hard to find. Your best bet is in the junkyards. I've wondered why they didn't just use the proper orientation in the first damned place. Not one of Fords 'better ideas'. I made one out of phenolic for the YFA on my 250 b/c the YFA has a different bolt spread than the YF, 1101 and the RBS carbs! Uhg!

Yea, its driving me insane trying to get this going. All my local junk yards purged anything carb related back when scrap got so high. You would think something this simple wouldnt be so hard to find. I guess Im going to have to find a machine shop to fab up a spacer with the correct bolt spacing for me.

It's not hard to make one using a gasket for the manifold and a gasket for the carb. It needs to be 5/8-3/4" thick and after the basic part is made you clearance where needed for linkage bolts, etc. The thickness helps get clearance. With a chunk of peholic or aluminum of the right thickness it can be done in a woodshop with bandsaw, sander, router and drill press

Econoline":115m5qnu said:
It's not hard to make one using a gasket for the manifold and a gasket for the carb. It needs to be 5/8-3/4" thick and after the basic part is made you clearance where needed for linkage bolts, etc. The thickness helps get clearance. With a chunk of peholic or aluminum of the right thickness it can be done in a woodshop with bandsaw, sander, router and drill press
& spirit level
(don't let me put words in yer mouth tho, Seth)
shiverme timbers :arg:

Howdy Joe:

I feel your pain. Check out the adaptor in the post "Autolite 1101 Question". That's the idea.

What carb will you be choosing?

Adios, David

You can purchase an orientation spacer from Vintage Inlines if you're not into fabricating one. They come in two flavours, one which fits a larger bore carb onto the small log intake (which would be your application, I think) and the other which fits the smaller bore carb onto the large log intake. I have used the latter of the two on my Fairlane with success, it's a good product.

Alternately, I have the factory orientation spacer for an Autolite 1100 for the small log intake which I might be convinced to sell.

And a small highjack: Does anyone know if the bolt spread on the Autolite 1101 is the same as a Carter RBS?

Regards,

Chris

I got lucky and found a spacer from a 72 granada up in Canada. I havnt mounted it yet, but it seems to line up just looking at it. It has a bunch of emission type fittings on it that Ill need to plug, but I think it may work.

Back