'65 manual 200 starter question

Varilux

I have a '65 engine with the dog dish 8.5" flywheel (trans is a T5, but I don't think that changes anything- since it uses the same flywheel as the original 2.77).

The starter is occasionally "hanging" (usually starts fine, but sometimes turn the key and it doesn't want to turn). Plenty of voltage at the battery, and the ring gear on the flywheel is new- so I'm guessing it's time for a new starter.

Problem is, when I look online, the starter specified for the a '65 200L manual has two bolts- and mine has three. So I'm a bit confused on which starter to order (I'm looking on RockAuto.com, and most of the starters have three bolts and look just like the one in the car- but the one starter that says "manual" has two bolts). If I recall correctly, I have to find just the right starter, because of the unique ring gear on the 8.5" flywheel.

I'd really appreciate some direction on which starter I need to order!

Oh, and it's not the solenoid- you can hear the starter try to engage- it just doesn't have the strength to turn the engine. If you keep "tapping" the key, eventually it frees up and cranks just great, but I don't want to be at some show 50 miles from home when it finally decides to give up the ghost.

Howdy!

Someone put a 3.03 in mine at some point and its got 2 bolts. The 2.77 i believe has 3 bolts. Can you take a picture so i can compare it to mine? I think my V8 one is also a lot bigger.

Good luck,
Ryan

Hi, my 66 Bronco has the 3.03 RAN tranny, bigger than the 2.73 in the 65 mustang. My starter is 2 bolt. I also checked Advance Auto and they list a 3 bolt starter for a 65 Mustang 200, but they don't ask if it is for stick or auto. I would pull the starter and bring it to the local parts store. Good luck

... leave it to Ford :

My '63 wagon has a (MAverick) 1971 170cid - C8DE block with 3 freeze plugs, OEM C7ZA 3.03 bellhouse and TWO bolt starter. My 'parts' C8DE 200cid - 5 Freeze plugs had an automatic with THREE bolt starter. Another 200 out of a 76 Maverick has the three bolt with a C4 automatic. Maybe it's Automatic 3 bolt vs Manual 2 bolt starter bellhouses? ?

C8DE 200 w/ 3 bolt starter:
. . .

C8DE 170 w/2 bolt starter (1971 Maverick OEM 3OTT Toploader bell/T5 adapter)

haev fun . .

Thanks for the info! I've discovered that Ford used two and three bolt starters for various years of the six, so it comes down to which bellhousing one has. Near as I can tell, manual vs. auto doesn't make much difference for the starter (and actually even L6 or V8 doesn't matter). It's all in the mount on your bellhousing. The V8 manual used a bellhousing with 2 bolts, a LOT of other engine/trans configs used 3 bolts (including apparently mine). I ordered a 3 bolt starter (along with a new solenoid and cabling) and will post back the results.

I just removed the starter (had just enough clearance around the header). Here's some pics:
tumblr_p378o0Ince1tkp167o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p38creSeXe1tkp167o1_1280.jpg

So how many teeth does a c4 65-200 have vs the manual? Doesn't the tooth count mean more than the 2 bolt vs 3 bolt? Because a 2 bolt came be bolted on the 3 bolt. Make sense??

thanks 4 da pic!
it almost looks like there's an adapter in there (behind the starter). Don't
recognize that big square piece (an inch thick?) that goes off the pic to the right...
Just the way the bell is made I guess?

I get it now~
EDIT:
even tho I posted B4 Marco my post came up after.
At any rate I missed the C4. That's what I think i C.
The edge of the case...aren't pic great... I luv em.

The block of aluminum behind the starter is the adapter plate for the T5 transmission.

I'm going to count the teeth on the new starter when it arrives to ensure it has the same number as the current starter- keeping my fingers crossed.

Hi, interestingly enough, Ford lists only 2 Bendix drives in my 66 Ready Reference Catalog.
65-66 all cars : C4OZ 11350-B.
65-66 Falcon, Bronco : C4DZ 11350-B.
There are 5 different starter part numbers.
I hope the pictures are big enough to read.
Good luckIMG_20180128_070046184.jpg

Well, the new starter (and other parts) arrived from RockAuto, took all of 15 minutes to install, and... starts like a champ now!

For future reference, my block is a L6 '65 which originally had a 2.77 three speed. I ordered the three bolt ACDELCO 3361007 and it worked perfectly with no modifications (even looks like the one I had before).
tumblr_p3ntliPp7V1tkp167o1_1280.jpg

Back