Advice needed

Hey everybody,
I have an uncut 66 U14, 170, 3 on the tree.
It has 105k miles on it, all original.
Car rides good, stops ok & has a few small leaks mostly at the dana 20.
Love just cruising around, taking the dog to the beach here in S. FL.

OK here's the rub, I wish it could do over 50-55mph & a little more power.
What are the "bolt on" options to try and get some HP, or make it more user friendly. Transmission, rear-end gear ratio, distributer.
@ 105k miles I assume I'm nearing time for some motor work?

Wish list**
better/highway speed (not cross country, maybe just 20-30 miles)
front disc brakes
rebuild improve/tighten up steering

I hate to alter a stock bronco but I don't get to use it as much as I could due to some of the limitations.
Definitely not a mechanic here, but I can fake my way through most jobs & not afraid to try>
Thanks,
Tim

W E L C O M E !!!
the more bronks the better I all ways say. Enjoy ur stay.

One of the simplest, quickest, is to turn up initial advance 5* or so.
Properly inflated tires can help w/MPGs as well as reduce rolling resistance.
Have you become familiar with the feedback system between carb and distributor in this '66 170s (all 6 'falconmotors')?
DSII ignition swap (avaliable in '75 I believe) is one of the top 2 or 3 suggestions offered here (can gap plugs wider after too).
Like yer self I don't consider myself a mechanic (wish I could) but every performance upgrade seems to also assist w/MPGs too,
so that was a surprise. However, 2V carb or larger 1V may not match this statement but will give U more pep. Take care when upgrading here
as that feedback system I mentioned above can create a 'mismatch' between carb & dizzy that will not allow it to operate correctly!

Please click on "Tech Archive" above, scroll down to "Ignition System", learn the LOM/SCV (ie load a matic, spark controll valve) dizzy/carb system...heck, read the whole archive as '68 was a 'piviot yr', there's more answ 2 ur Qs (and it helped me formulate the correct Qs to come back to this forum'n ask)!

Some here also suggest aquiring the Performance Handbook. I do so as well - I have extreemly limited income and part of it has a really wonderfull 'staged upgrade' philosophy allowing me a plan in how to run my rig day by day but improve it as time/$ allow.

These 3: Archive, Handbook and, this forum (lotta international exspirts and helpful, giving guys) and entire site have helped this author with just such a request as ur own!

One last comment: please due ur due dilligence 1st - collect all the info U can (learn what is possible w/this specific vehicle), & proceed almost painfully slo (decide just what U want the vehicle for/to do/application), ID budget/match to final/end result, plan carefully the sequence of operations to achieve that end goal and stick w/it till the end. Altho just a life long garage rat (hung around, assist others) not a real mechanic, I've seen too many hack jobs from jumping into it, changing plans 1/2 way thru, change again, etc to want ur bronk to suffer thru something so easy to do as that (or ur X & $). Even more important in a multi-purpose vehicle like a bronk. We can guide you along if desired...
(y)

Glad you found us and the 66 Bronco is my favorite.
You will greatly benefit from and enjoy the Falcon Performance Handbook, it has the answers concerning engine mods you want to make and more.
If you change the rear diff ratios you should do the front diff to match so that will add up to some money. You most likely have 4:11 ratios and that is a good match for the 170. I know exactly what you are experiencing with the limited capability of your stock drive train. The 170/ six Bronco was originally designed for farm and ranch use as you probably know
You could find an Autolite 1101 (non scv) and get a custom curved Duraspark II distributor and module for a bit more power assuming your 170 is in fairly good condition.
That would be considered a typical bolt on approach. If your 170 is getting weak you could find a 200 to rebuild and it would drop right in as they are the same block and head dimensions but 30 more cubes and better head flow.
If you have stock 237 75 15 tires a 30" tire will reduce revs on the highway a little but not a lot. If you can fit a 31" tire it will reduce revs a bit more. You may need a 1" body lift. Check out classicbroncos.com.
Let us know your plans.

I almost forgot about the disc brake conversion it is a great upgrade and the parts list can be found at classicbroncos.com or you can buy a complete kit. Also new bushings may be all you need to tighten up the front end. The 'c' bushings in particular deteriorate quickly often in 30k miles or so. You can buy the whole bushing set from any Bronco vendor. Of course you could need tie rod ends etc.

Do you know if it has the stock carb and distributor? Advancing the timing will help with pep, but isn't going to help your top end speed. 55 is about as fast as that little truck was designed to go. I've thought about swapping over to a four speed tranny to get more out of mine, but we start talking big bucks for that....

Howdy T rod:

And welcome to The Forum. You've got some basic advice already and I have to add my two cents too.

Q- "better/highway speed (not cross country, maybe just 20-30 miles)"
The sad news is that your Bronc's highway speed is a given due to it's gearing. It can be improved on slightly with air pressure and larger (taller) tire size, but swapping trans and/or front and rear differential gear ratios is expensive and complex. Given your typical uses, IIWIYS, I'd learn to live with it.

On the power you have several reasonable options. FYI- your carb, Autolite 1100, 9150 cfm) and distributor, Load-O-Matic, are linked in that the carb sends a load sensitive vacuum signal to the distributor, which is a vacuum advance only system. You can swap on an Autolite 1100 carb from a '66 200 (185 cfm) engine for a "good feel" increase in power. This carb is compatible with your LoM distributor. Upgrading to this carb is a dropdead bolt-on.

As already mentioned, increasing the initial advance by 5 degrees over the stock specs is a cheap, easy and rewarding change. This might be the spot to mention buying a timing light, vacuum gauge and a shop manual are good investments given your long range plans. There are other upgrade options IF you are willing to do both carb and distributor. You can modernize your stock distributor by adding a PetroniX Ignitor system that will replace your current points.

Q- "front disc brakes"
My advice would be to stick with your current drum brakes but modernize the brake system by upgrading to a dual bowl master cylinder and replacing flex hoses. Those upgrade should be safer and very adequate for you intended use. Your Bronc may have wider drums and shoes that Falcons and Mustangs of the year. Check out the details in the Shop Manual.

Q- "rebuild improve/tighten up steering"
You didn't say what the symptom of your steering are, but, know that there is an adjustment to the steering box that can help if the symptom is slop in the steering wheel. The adjustment is a set nut and slot headed bolt that drops into the worm gear. Just loosen the set nut, tighten the adjusting screw to a "loose" tight setting. You will not want the adjustment screw snug. Be sure to retighten the set nut while holding the set screw bolt. Also visually check the tie rod ends for slop. Have someone turn the steering wheel, both right and left, while you crawl under to view the tie rod ends. If the tie rod ends tip back and forth, it's time to replace them. IIRC you Bronc has a crossover link from the steering sector to the steering arms so be sure to check all tie rod connections.

Again, welcome to The Forum. I'm hoping that our advice has been helpful and don't forget to ask more and to keep us posted on your progress.

Adios, David

bmbm40":3769z4vv said:
Glad you found us and the 66 Bronco is my favorite.
You will greatly benefit from and enjoy the Falcon Performance Handbook, it has the answers concerning engine mods you want to make and more.
If you change the rear diff ratios you should do the front diff to match so that will add up to some money. You most likely have 4:11 ratios and that is a good match for the 170. I know exactly what you are experiencing with the limited capability of your stock drive train. The 170/ six Bronco was originally designed for farm and ranch use as you probably know
You could find an Autolite 1101 (non scv) and get a custom curved Duraspark II distributor and module for a bit more power assuming your 170 is in fairly good condition.
That would be considered a typical bolt on approach. If your 170 is getting weak you could find a 200 to rebuild and it would drop right in as they are the same block and head dimensions but 30 more cubes and better head flow.
If you have stock 237 75 15 tires a 30" tire will reduce revs on the highway a little but not a lot. If you can fit a 31" tire it will reduce revs a bit more. You may need a 1" body lift. Check out classicbroncos.com.
Let us know your plans.

Thanks for the direction,
I think I’ll look at a bigger carb, & the duraspark

I ordered the book, it shipped yesterday.
Thanks,
Tim

"...I ordered the book..."
ck out the "Tech Archive" above 4 free while waiting 4 delivery (bone up on LOM/SCV under "Load-a-Matic Dizzy").

Back