Plugs on every exhaust ports

The Blue Box

What are these little things? Allen head on top and has a hole next to the valve guide? Is this a smog head or something? I took the head off to try and polish the chambers and maybe some port work. Can i grind the boss for whatever this is off inside the exhaust port? The "book" doesnt mention these.

I can't get @ your meaning but P'nP is covered a lill in the "Tech Archive" above.
Check the "sketches" in the Handbook.
The pic was not helpful for me.
Keep talkin...

Howdy BB:

Does the hole in the exhaust port correspond to a plug or tap on the outside of that chamber? The Air injection heads from early Calif Emm engines used this system to inject air into the exhaust port to cause mor burn of exiting exhaust.

What's on the other side of that hole in the exhaust port?

It was not uncommon, when the system failed, to remove the pump, hoses and pipes to where they were tapped into the exhaust port and plug the tap with a pipe plug.

I hope that helps. Please let us know the rest of the story.

Adios, David

what's the casting numbers?

With the Allen pipe plugs installed you can grind out the bump inside the exhaust port for better flow! Goodluck (y) :nod:

that's the block casting, no?
Sorry, I meant the head casting...

Oh, OK, thank you.

That seems too old 4 many "smog' adaptations ('66 right?)...
I could not C anything (pertainent) in ur pic.
Just didn't wanna C U grind off any of da "good stuff".

I guess its a California head. I did see a few on ebay around that era (late 60s) with smog ports on it. I just hope the open holes dont whistle with the engine running. If that makes sense

The Blue Box":3oetv86q said:
I guess its a California head. I did see a few on ebay around that era (late 60s) with smog ports on it. I just hope the open holes dont whistle with the engine running. If that makes sense

Yes your head appears to be one of the so called Ca. only smog heads, it's a 1966 head with A.I.R. These originally used an engine driven Air pump to inject air into the exhaust for cleaner emissions. :shock: No it really can't whistle out those ports holes as long as the Allen plugs are still installed as shown in one of your picture! With the bump ground out of the exhaust ports that head is just as good (flow wise) as all the pervious 1963 to 1965 200 heads as well as the other 49 state (Federal 200 heads) 1966 to about 1968. Good luck on your engine build up (y) :nod:

Back