Change of plans. I need help picking a carb / distributor combo.

cobra5laddict

In a nut shell, I was double checking my distributor part number in order to purchase a pertronix conversion and had a thought. I better decide on what my carb options are before i submit the order. I was surprised at what I found. I have 2 sets of parts i can use so I looked up how to identify each.

My first carb option is a autolite 1100 stamped C50EE or maybe C50FE? from what i know this was purchased about 7 years ago and ran shortly then removed. It has a single accelerator pump and for sure is 100% load-o-matic carb. this carb is equipped with electric choke. it appears that someone cross threaded the vacuum advance hard line port so i m not sure the condition of the housing or the threads.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/ ... bne8od.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/ ... hajf25.jpg

My second carb option is a dual accelerator pump carb and is correct for running an automatic (which i am) it has a "remanufactured carburetors" sticker on it from got knows when. i could not locate any part numbers on the housing on this carb other than a "55" stamped on the base near one of the mounting ears. This carb does not have the spark control bung or spark control valve (even though it came to me running with an original load-o-matic distributor. this carb has standard thermal choke assembly
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/ ... pyoa0g.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/ ... e7iwi1.jpg

so this is where i am at, do i ditch the spark control carb (since the need to dual accelerator -dashpot) carb and pick up a 1968+ distributor, convert to pertronix to match? Or do i try and fix the threads on the spark o matic carb (again only singe accelerator pump- dashpot) and convert my load o matic distributor to pertronix. id really prefer to keep a mostly stock appearance and I dont have the time or access to do any sort of junkyard swap. i found several re manufactured 1968 and newer distributors from rock auto, napa etc ranging from $60-$150 then you add on the cost of the pertronix and the coil. i have about $250 to spend that includes $ for a carb rebuild kit to use ethanol fuels of today.

here is some backstory of my engine refresh and the stats,
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77542

keep in mind i have no desire to spin this engine tight, just a simple cruiser thats reliable and keeps up with todays traffic if anything emphasis on torque int eh low RPM.

thanks in advance for your time and advice!

Take a look at Mike's Carburetors. They sell quality rebuilds for the later engine. The 69 250 carb has lager flow.
I can fix you up on the distributor end. I offer re-engineered custom curved distributors from a HEI to a DS11. The HEI is a one wire hookup.
The DS11 you can use a GM module & a MSD coil. The most expensive combo is use the MSD-6al ignition box with a MSD Blaster coil.
See the for sale section of the forum in small six for sale section of the forum.
If you purchase a distributor from rock auto, napa or whatever it still needs to be recurved for proper performance & economy. Bill

Bill,

so with one of your distributors would you recommend running the dual pump / dashpot 68+ carb i have (with a rebuild kit) or something different?

Howdy Back Cobra5 and all:

Your choice. If you choose to stay with the LoM distributor and PetroniX, you will need to stay with the 1100 that has the SCV. The electric choke is a plus. You will need to fix the cross threaded vacuum tap. Many replace the metal vacuum line with a brass nipple and rubber vacuum hose. Just make sure that you get a tight vacuum seal at all connectors.

If you choose to go with a later style distributor (Vacuum and Centrifual advance) than the non SCV carb is your oyster. Is it is an 1100 it is likely a '68 - '69 emissions carb that has a smaller venturi resulting in less cfm. 185 cfm for the SCV carb above compared to 150 cfm for this carb. (One of FoMoCos dirty tricks) Check it out by measuring the inner diameter of the venturi. The second accelerator lever is really a damper to assist deceleration with an engine with an auto trans. It is not essential and removing/disabling it can offer a slight increase in mpg.

The second choice can, potentially, offer some performance increases, depending on the venturi, as a result of the addition of the centrifugal advance system, more reliable spark and a stronger spark. The 1101 carb Bill referred to is a super upgrade and compatible with an upgrade distributor. That and a recurved DuraSpark or DuraSpark II would have you rocking but at a steeper price. Again, your choice.

Let us know what you choose and enjoy.

Adios, David

That would work since it does not have the SCV. The 1101 or the YF have a larger venturi, but to save money just rebuild yours.
I can also rework a SCV carb & make it work with the DS11. Bill

Back