New tank and sender, fuel pump replaced last ~20 years ago, no fuel in carburetor bowl

Asa

2K+
VIP
Hey guys

For Christmas I got the 22gallon tank conversion from MustangsUnlimited or CJPonyParts, can't remember which. For my '67 Mustang with a Carter YFA 1bbl.

Got it painted, sealed, prepped, and installed. Loaded 5 gallons of ethanol free gas into it in order to pop her off so I could drive down and top the tank off.

Primed the carb bowl as I had noticed while messing with the jets last time that the pump doesn't like to pump without having something to push against.

Fire her up, she runs for a minute or so on the warm-up circuit with the choke closed, then sputters and dies.

As I mentioned in the title, the pump was last changed when I was in high school. I know it was before ethanol was ever added to fuel widespread, so it is easily possible the rubber is toast.

Would rather get a checklist to troubleshoot before I just start swapping parts, though.

It's just a matter of checking for fuel on the inlet side of the pump- if you have fuel to the pump (remove the hose to check, I have a hand pump for a boat I use with a small jar of fuel to make sure fuel is going in) but nothing coming out of the pump (most likely true because your carb ran dry but you should really also check that at the pump), you have a problem with the pump. Also smell the oil dipstick, if you smell gas in there it means the pump diaphragm has ruptured and you need to change the oil as well as the fuel pump.

If you find no fuel present when you pull the fuel line off of the inlet side of the pump, blow through the line and listen for bubbling, if you hear bubbling, hold the line low and wait at least a minute for the fuel to show up. If it doesn't bubble with five gallons of gas in the tank, then it is plugged.

Back