Header Identification - Help Please

Matthew68

Hi Folks,

I’m thinking of buying a used set of headers. From what I can tell, these are long tube. Does anyone know the manufacturer based on the added photos? I know Clifford and Hooker have long tube but I’m not sure if anyone else does. I would have them blasted and coated once I purchase them (if I do). Purchasing from someone doing the V8 swap, so the price is right.

Any other things I should consider? Appreciate your guidance and help, as always.

Cheers,
M

9E70C6D1-27D3-4365-B03F-96A3E4EB7D31.jpeg
A46FBB4F-B244-4099-93A5-D754B7899350.jpeg

The pics are hard to figure with the fbgls wrap but they don't look like Hooker 6601's for 200 or 6602's for the 250. Hooker long tubes have the #2 & #3 cyl loop out and back for equal length. Also Hookers haev Hooker emblem on tube and are stamped with model number on flange between 1 and 2.

have fun

6602's on 250 and 6601's for 170/200 off in front:

Thanks, powerband. What made me think it was 5 and 6 being a separate piece. I haven’t seen that with other headers I’ve looked at.

So looks like hooker is ruled out and Clifford is one piece. Any guesses?

Cheers,
M

Since those headers had heat wrap on them, that makes the tubing brittle & a good change for furture cracking.
Bite the bullet and purchase new ones.

wsa111":29hxazrk said:
Since those headers had heat wrap on them, that makes the tubing brittle & a good change for furture cracking.

Thanks, Bill.

I know with the 200 you recommend the long tube headers. I can’t find the Hookers anywhere for less than $500. Are the power gains with long tube vs short that much more noticeable in the long tube? Or is the $300 difference better off being spent elsewhere (dizzy, suspension, other performance mods)?

Cheers,
M

Matthew68":1qwg8k6k said:
wsa111":1qwg8k6k said:

Thanks, Bill.

I know with the 200 you recommend the long tube headers. I can’t find the Hookers anywhere for less than $500. Are the power gains with long tube vs short that much more noticeable in the long tube? Or is the $300 difference better off being spent elsewhere (dizzy, suspension, other performance mods)?

Cheers,
M
With the 200 you need all the low end & midrange torque you can get. Plus unless you have the CI
head the smaller 1 1/2" primaries help the above.
But let your wallet be your guide. Face it the Hookers are pricey.

many consider the long tube for tq,
the shorties for HP.
I think, others have much more info, that with every bit wrung out of the engine - the addition of the best headers readily available (not custom made) only adds 5 or 10% anyway.

I have extremely low budget build, seek tq, "didn't need" headers but was talked into (pretty easily) them by assembler's/my build partner's son. I skipped the long tubes (due 2 $/availability) & got possibly the last set of shorties from CI (Will held the door open as they were closing). I like the sound & lookin in the engine bay reminds me of my motorcycles! Glad I did it...

Again, not sure here (hafta have dialogue) but I think Bill, above, is stressing the difference between the 200 & 250?
"With the 200 you need all the low end & midrange torque you can get..." I think 3.3L = a pretty "square motor" which is peppy throughout the RPM curve? What can folks tell me?
:unsure::

Howdy Back Matt and All:

I believe the header in your photo is marketed by Clifford. Long tube, single outlet. IIWIYS and the price is right, I'd buy it on the condition that it is serviceable after removing the wrap and sand blasting in prep for coating. If cracks or corresion damage appears after cleaning assess how much prep and/or repair will be needed prior to coating. Also prefit the header onto your engine and chassis prior to coating. If you need to modify the header for clearance you will want to do it prior to coating.

What coating are you planning on? Coat the inside as well. With coating you will likely not need the heat wrap.

Keep it coming.

Adios, David

CZLN6":aaov9fxn said:
Howdy Back Matt and All:

I believe the header in your photo is marketed by Clifford. Long tube, single outlet. IIWIYS and the price is right, I'd buy it on the condition that it is serviceable after removing the wrap and sand blasting in prep for coating. If cracks or corresion damage appears after cleaning assess how much prep and/or repair will be needed prior to coating. Also prefit the header onto your engine and chassis prior to coating. If you need to modify the header for clearance you will want to do it prior to coating.

What coating are you planning on? Coat the inside as well. With coating you will likely not need the heat wrap.

Keep it coming.

Adios, David

Thanks for the input Chad, Bill, David!

David - If I am going dual exhaust, will the single outlet header present me with challenges or modifications when I do the exhaust? I had planned on the Imposter Dual from Matt at VI.For coating and blasting, I would have someone here locally do it. Ceramic coating most likely, but haven't gotten that far to finally pinpoint the exact material. Thanks for the tips on trying to fit prior to coating as well.

I have to wonder how much longer the Hooker will be available since they probably sell less than 10 a year due to price and demand.

bmbm40":1fbpnzkm said:
I have to wonder how much longer the Hooker will be available since they probably sell less than 10 a year due to price and demand.

I agree. Can’t seem to find them anywhere. Jegs has them according to their eBay store. I called today and they just sold the last one a few days ago. Not many left!

Anyone know why they discontinued it?

I haven't seen many nicely done 1 to 2 exhaust. Don't use any ready parts like these, they are crap:

Resize_of_DSC05946.JPG

If I would want to do it, I might get some muffler with one in and 2 out, and continue from there.

Or, with project header, consider modifying it to dual.

Just a lack of demand is why they are expensive. We are a small community.
Summit did have the #6601 listed as available a while back. I am sure Hooker does not make the #6602 new for the 250 any longer.The shorty that Matt has is a great value really. It would be cool if he found a source for the long tube.

"...a source for the long tube."
musB nother a those bronk phreeques,,,

CZLN6":1xn98sze said:
Howdy Back Matt:

What is your reason in planning to go with a dual exhaust system?

Adios, David

Hi David,

I plan for the VI aluminum head once they are available and some other performance improvements down the line (cam, dizzy, etc).

Side note - the guy who was selling decided to sell the motor with the headers to someone else. It was a 66 200ci, I had no reason for the head and block.

Appreciate all the feedback, and at least now I know what it was!

Firebolt":2pjxnuai said:
I haven't seen many nicely done 1 to 2 exhaust. Don't use any ready parts like these, they are crap...
Matt @ VI was a long term exhaust guy B4 continuing after the close of CI. He can get U a "Y" pipe like that in the pic, of better quality. I will probably go to him when needed 4 my project. Would like the durable stainless. Will kinda match the CI shorties. So will go frm ur idea of 1 to 2 the opposite way (2 to 1). It's 4 an off rd vehicle & needs 2B tucked up more (C avatar to top R in this post).

So I’ve been lurking around for quite a while, and figured this would be a good time to post. I’ve also got a set of long tubes, but no one can seem to identify them. Definitely not either of the Hookers, and don’t look like Pacemakers or Clifford either. 2A31836F-21C4-4059-AFCC-BAB9AF7A2486.jpegF145ECC6-4410-4875-8319-6F1CAFFA0C39.jpeg

someXs all U need is tube bender, welder'n p. cutter.

The unidentified long tube headers don't look like they could clear the shock towers and steering in any early Ford passenger car. The Hooker 6602 longtube's needed some BFH to fit in the '61 and looks like the UN_ID's ones are even more spread at the exh. manifold height.

Interesting ...

file.php

.. .

Hooker 6602 on 250 with 6601's next to..

from above at shock towers

have fun

Back