Carb question

gavinpais

Hello all,
This is my second post and just want to thank you all for all the information on this site! Great resource!

I currently have a 1966 Ford Mustang with the 200ci motor a C4 and 7.25 rear end from what I can tell. The motor currently has the SCV Autolite and a load o Matic with the electronic upgrade. I use the car on weekends etc but I find her extremely sluggish (understandably) but now I want to give her a little pep. I have bought the Falcon performance book, a new fuel tank and lines (there seems to be some sort of blockage or low flow and the tank looks original- and cheap enough to replace) an MSD 6AL and a DS2 distributor from Bill here on the forum. I am now looking for a carb to go with it.

Eventually over the next 1-2 years I am going to do the 250 2V mod with a performance cam once I accumulate all the parts and I reached out to Matt with VI about the carbs, initially I wanted the Weber 36/32 but Matt suggested the 38/38 as eventually I am upgrading the motor and according to him all I would lose is Gas mileage. Any thought on that? Im not convinced of all that air/fuel going through a Venturi through a 1.5” hole but I am a newbie on the subject. Do you guys have any idea on what I should do with carb/adapter selection? I’m not sure if Matt is away but I haven’t had a response lately to the multiple emails and calls. Would I be better off with a Holley 350 or is it essentially the same as putting on a 38? Would you suggest an electric fuel pump( I want to replace the current mechanical pump as I have been having fuel flow issues - especially on initial start) or just change the mechanical pump and install a regulator?

I would like to buy everything from VI but I don’t want to keep waiting for a response do you suggest anywhere else for the 1v-2V adapters carbs etc?
Thanks
Gavin

Howdy,

I believe Clifford has some adapters but the one matt has isnt bad. Im running the 32/36 with the small log adapter and have no problems. I had some at first with the studs coming loose holding it in, but after a few tightens i got it.

Thats all i got to offer.

Good luck,

Ryan

Thanks Ryan,
I think the 36/32 might be the way to go... just want to future proof myself.

Do you run a mechanical pump with a regulator or do you use an electric pump?
Thanks

I tried the Holley 350 cfm 2bbl and the 32/36 type Holley/Weber 5200 progressive carb through 1X2 adapters on my 170 six 63 wagon. The 170 is basically stock but has dual out headers and later D6xx head milled to 48cc chambers and uses a steel shim head gasket for a CR @ 9.5:1. Both carbs ran well on the 170 but the Holley 350-7448 can be eye watering rich with spirited throttle use. The 32/36 flows thru a $15.oo 2X1 adapter and idles consistent, and provides a 'kick in the pants' feel when the secondary opens. I did have tuning issues with the 5200 2bbl until finding a 80's Merc' Capri version spec'd for 2.8 six engine.

Fuel Regulators are recommended with mechanical pump for the Weber and H/W carbs, I strongly discourage the dial type regulator as one ruptured after short period pumping fuel all over hot engine and headers... (Mr. Gasket in pic)

The H/W 5200 progressive has run perfect for @ 10 years on the '63 wagon.

have fun

gavinpais":147ilqbf said:
Thanks Ryan,
I think the 36/32 might be the way to go... just want to future proof myself.

Do you run a mechanical pump with a regulator or do you use an electric pump?
Thanks
I use a mechanical pump with a regulator set at 3lbs. I have a video on youtube about converting your 200. Watch, Weber conversion Ford 200. I detail the jet sizes in the description. Its the only video out there like this, weird

Actually here the link to the video

https://youtu.be/yvOCZ3rql7Y

Thanks Gents,
I think I am going to go with the 32/36 and a regulator. I got to change my fuel pump as they are cheap enough I guess.
Thanks

gavinpais":1hs90oe6 said:
Thanks Gents,
I think I am going to go with the 32/36 and a regulator. I got to change my fuel pump as they are cheap enough I guess.
Thanks
Dont forget to like the video! Lol

Back