Help on 2V conversion

mustangpoor07

So I have a 200 in my 66 stang and want to do the 2V conversion. I already have an 80 250 large log head complete. I understand all the modifications i need to have done to the head to include milling intake for the 2v adapter, milling approx .075" from head to reduce chamber size for proper CR and thicker gasket. My questions are can i use the valves that are in the 250 head or should i change ? Can the push rods in my 200 be used with the 250 head ? I appreciate any advice in advance. Thanks

Well, before you get too far, make sure you cc the head before you mill it. You'll reduce the chamber volume by roughly 2cc per 0.010" of mill (give or take). If you mill it 0.075" and it's already been milled 0.020" by the PO, you're going to run into issues with thin walls on the head and run the risk of it blowing up. Since you're already going to be having the head worked on, consider running 1.75" intake and 1.50" exhaust valves. I don't know when Ford went to the larger intake, but I don't know that they ever bumped up the exhaust. Measure what you've got and go from there.

You should still be able to use the pushrods but it's not very expensive to get an adjustable pushrod and measure to make sure. I ended up having to get quite a bit shorter pushrods than "normal" for my adjustable rocker arm setup. I would recommend measuring then calling Matt at Vintage Inlines to see what he has in stock.

While the head is off, go ahead and measure the piston shortfall. It'll let you know where you're going to end up from a compression ratio standpoint. This is also the perfect time to put in a new cam, depending on what your budget is. If nothing else, I recommend the adjustable, dual chain. mine fit perfect. I installed my cam with 4* of advance.

Thanks for the info
This engine was rebuilt by previous owner and im really just looking to swap out the head. The rebuild has less than 5k miles on it to my best estimate. I do know they used an E280101 erson cam in it. I'm.hoping that the head swap with a weber 32/36 on it and a DUI will give the old girl just a little more gitty up as well as the cool factor of keeping it a 6 cyl.
I had planned on CC the chambers because i want to try for a 9.2 - 9.4 CR. I'm hoping that the cam that is in it will work. I have a T5 tranny and a 8" rear with 3:55 rear gear.

Yeah, double check the piston shortfall. Stock is 0.019" but that is with taller pistons than what is out there in the aftermarket. Replacementposton (that I've found anyway) have a compression height of 1.500" as opposed to stock at 1.511". So who knows if the PO milled the deck.

I'm not familiar with the Erson cams. I would still degree it to make sure it was installed correctly. Being off 1 tooth will slide your timing by something lime 13*. It'll run, but be a dog. I swore I got mine installed correctly but measured anyway. Turns out I'd actually installed it retarded by the 13 or 14 degrees. Luckily I caught it before getting everything slapped together.

Back