Bronco 200 Carb

I have a 1969 Bronco. I should be getting the 200 I had rebuilt back from the machine shop any day now. Should I rebuild the carb from the 170 in the truck now or does someone have a suggestion what carb to get. I would like to keep the stock hood. Thanks.
Tom

I would get a carb from a 69 250" engine. It will perform much better. Get you distributor set up for your engine. This would be the time to update to a DS11 distributor with matching components. Bill

only concern (for 'us' over the road cars on here) is fuel starvation on the gradients. Fuel can slosh around in there @ the most inopportune moments.
:nono: :eek:opsie: :shock: If steep enuff there can B quite dangerous results quicker'n U can say "Help !"

"... keep the stock hood..."
So U know bout the 60s/70s ford low hoods! The 200 wuz only in a bronk 2 yrs I think ('73/4). The 170 (YF & I 4get the other, Autolite may B?) is too small for a 200 to perform (MPGs, pep, etc). I am putting a taller 250 in mine & have a 250 carb that is as low as the 1100/1101 (Carter RBS). Depending on what's been done to ur 200 (plez tell us more for more accurate suggestions) that may B an option? So there's 4, but plez, makem for a 200 not a smaller 170...

Like all automotive questions ("what carb?" here) the follow-up is: What is the vehicle application?
What is 80% of use going to B? the end goal? how it will B driven? kind of traffic, etc
(y)

The 200 will be exactly the same as the 170 for hood clearance. Like Bill said, an Autolite 1101 or Carter RBS from a 250 is your best bet if you have a large log head and a 68 or later distributor. A 250 Carter YFA would also be good. Don't use the 170 carb. We need to know what year head you've got on the 200?

Howdy Tom:

I'm not familiar with the linkage configuration on your Bronc. '69 cars with sixes had a mechanical linkage. You mentioned that you were intent on keeping your hood stock. How willing are you to make modifications under the hood.

You didn't say what year the 170 carb is from. If it's the stock one that came on your '69 with a 170 engine it can work- but you will be giving up a significant amount of power. The 1100 Autolite 1100 from a '69 200 is also down on power compared to the '67 and earlier 200, 1100 due to FoMoCo downsizing them trying to meet EPA requirements. The '69 Autolite 1101 from 250 engines that Bill mentioned, would be a gem. It will be compatible with your distributor vacuum advance system and, I think, would be compatible with your stock linkage.

IF necessary, modifying your stock linkage to be able to use a 200 or 250 carb will be worthwhile.

What linkage does your '69 Bronc have?

Adios, David

Thanks for all the responses. Got the engine back today. Carb that was on the engine when I bought it was a Ford C30F. Looks like the intake hole is 1 3/4 inches. I bought the engine off Craigs List. I don't know what year it is or what it came out of.
Tom

Is that "C30F" a 2v or 4v carb. I believe it's an Autolite/Motorcraft...where is that number from on the carb?
If stamped (not cast) & on the 'flange' (down low) I believe it's either a 2100 or 4100.
Got a pic?
(if it sez 'ford' on it may B it's a Carter?)

The 3/4 inch 'hole' may mean a 250 head - any casting #s from the head?

How many H2O pump bolts on the frnt of the motor?

"...Got the engine back today..." What did whoever had it say abt ID this motor ( is it ford? ).
;)

Hello again,
Still trying to figure out what carb to get. Found a stamp on the engine. I found a decoding table showing that the engine is from a 1968 Maverick/Falcon. I am going to use the Bronco for Sunday drives but want to have the ability to climb hills without gas sloshing around so new carb needs that feature. My Bronco has a manual choke. I appreciate the amount of technical knowledge available on this forum.
Thanks,
Tom

As stated the Autolite 1101 or the two Carters are good carbs. I have the stock Carter that was on my 250 in my Bronco. I had to work a little to use it with the Bronco cable but it works great. You would probably find the Falcon Performance Handbook to be very useful. It discusses various carbs and swapping them as well as maintenance info and performance mods. My 4x4 F150 has a stock Carter carb and it has crawled up and down very steep hills. You can probably go to Autozone and buy that Carter for not too much if you want to take a chance on a parts house rebuild. I actually did that with my F150 several years ago and was luccky it has been running since then.

Howdy Back Tom and All:

You'll find the casting codes; Head- on top of the log behind the carb mount. Block- on the side under the exhaust manifold.

Is your Bronk a cable linkage to the carb? Or mechanical? That will help in suggestion the easiest way to go.

Keep it coming.

Adios, David

2X what last bronk owner said...
get the 1) "Handbook" - he's got a link in his sig or
go to vintage inlines dot com (author AND sals men R mambers here).
Then correctly ID head, motor, carbs (thru a read or go to 2) "Tech Archive" above).

"...thanks for the technical assistance..."
Thanks for the props, that's 2 places we get our technical info, the 3rd is right here...

"F2" might B E2 ? for 1982?
when I posted 'stamped' above - it's as if some 1 took a punch w/ ltrs/#s on the end & hit it w/a hammer. "Cast" R raised #s/ltrs. The block #s is (C post above) a cast 2 or 3 lines. Also, head, same way NOT @ the "Firing Order" #s end of the top surface of "log" intake but back end closer to the fire wall/driver's compartment...
:nod:

Back