Engine color

64-5mustang

I've finally getting to the part of my build where I get to cover up bare metal. I'm thinking about doing white because that's the original color of the car it's now red. I do have a question about the origin coloring od the parts like what was blue and what was black. I plan to leave the black prices alone so there's not to much white. As far as I can tell the only black parts were balancer, generator, dipstick. What have you guys done for painting you engines. Thanks for your time and imput.

Im doing mine in the original medium blue, not corporate blue. Im using black as a secondary, and chrome/metal as an accent. i plan to get the block and head painted eventually but ao far only the oil pan and VC are blue. The old Air cleaner was blue but i put a weber on it and run a large chrome one now

Many people don't realize that the earlier Ford engines weren't painted compeately in the " long familiar all Ford Blue" that is in the years before the debut of the 1966 Ford and later year models. These early Ford engines had their own unique colors on the valve covers and air cleaners this also helped I'd the engine size too. This below link is a to a post I started last year about these original engine paint colors, it might be able to answer some of your questions. Good luck on your restoration and painting. (y) :nod:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77044&p=592955&hilit=Engine+colors#p592955

That had some great info there. I knew that ford had a organ one out there. Going off that my 64.5 mustang property had a red valve corver air cleaner and the rest black. The thing I took out was a all multi blue 66 200 it wasn't the original engen should have had a 170. I'm strongly thinking of white with black accents I just don't want to make a look bad, different yes also why I keeped the inline it's different.

We're all so different.
I like lookin in there to see the familiar light blue (not the Ford Corporate Blue - its too dark).
Too close to the color of the blue in the logo on display (external badging) since the '80s (I think that's when it began).
I thought they were all that lght blue till bubba's posts...

Unless you're doing a show car like restoration I think you should paint it whatever colors you like and will make you happy. Because that's all about, your happiness. That's why why we work on these things, love. :beer:

bubba22349":16dsck6f said:
Many people don't realize that the earlier Ford engines weren't painted compeately in the " long familiar all Ford Blue" that is in the years before the debut of the 1966 Ford and later year models. These early Ford engines had their own unique colors on the valve covers and air cleaners this also helped I'd the engine size too. This below link is a to a post I started last year about these original engine paint colors, it might be able to answer some of your questions. Good luck on your restoration and painting. (y) :nod:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77044&p=592955&hilit=Engine+colors#p592955

Can we sticky this? I find it super helpful!

Take alook.
I think he did so himself...

Back