Flat tappet oil questions

falcon_master

Hi everyone it's been awhile. I've been busy working on a project truck for my dad a 1978 dodge lil red express. It's ridiculous how much it needs. No I'm replace the friggin water pump cause the other rusted through ahhhhhhhh! But I finally got back to my falcon and I was wondering I know these have fall tappet came and modern oil is low on zddp. So is it ok if I just buy an over the counter Additive or is that not good enough thanks everyone

Hi, I've used Castrol GTX 10w 40 for many years and never used an additive. The cam was changed at the last rebuild over 25 years ago. If I was to build a new engine or just change the cam and lifters I would use an engine builder additive. I think after the initial break in period regular quality oil should be good. The oil has changed for environmental reasons. Good luck

falcon_master":22zws1mr said:
Hi everyone it's been awhile. I've been busy working on a project truck for my dad a 1978 dodge lil red express. It's ridiculous how much it needs. No I'm replace the friggin water pump cause the other rusted through ahhhhhhhh! But I finally got back to my falcon and I was wondering I know these have fall tappet came and modern oil is low on zddp. So is it ok if I just buy an over the counter Additive or is that not good enough thanks everyone
I use 10w-30 Valvoline VR1 racing oil and ill probably go to 10w-40 next oil change. The racing oil has a good amount of zinc in it. Some people are lucky and it doesnt wear the cam, others not so. I take no chances on my baby so i put the nice stuff in it. I have crappy basic stuff in my Stude but thats because ive only run it twice in a year for no more than 40 seconds (no water pump and no time to fix it). If it drove, id put the nice stuff in it too.
The additive doesnt mix well with the oil and separates usually, not causing it to do what its supposed to do.
The VR1 stuff is about $7 a bottle or $35 for a pack of 6 on amazon.

Good luck,
Ryan

Brad-Penn Racing oil 10W-30. I contains all the additives, but detergent for street driving that the VR1 does not have??
It is a semi-synthetic blend.

The guys building FIFI's(B-29 engines tell me Rotella T has the highest amount of zinc in the US.
So,for break in,I've been using that and a bottle of additive.
Kind of a belt and suspender approach.

Howd F_M and all:

For use in an old engine a high detergent oil is my highest priority, but Rotella meets both high detergent and zinc additive requirements. Rotella is reasonably priced and easily available. When breaking in a new rebuild, with a new cam and lifters, a zinc additive is a good idea. When resurrecting an old engine you'll want to change oil and filter often for the first 1,000 miles or so, so price is a consideration. If I were maintaining a performance engine then I'd probably use a higher performance oil.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Adios, David

wsa111":1zl9zqca said:
Brad-Penn Racing oil 10W-30. I contains all the additives, but detergent for street driving that the VR1 does not have??
It is a semi-synthetic blend.
VR1 doesnt have detergents? Crap i gotta switch then

CZLN6":2s8s457a said:
Howd F_M and all:

For use in an old engine a high detergent oil is my highest priority, but Rotella meets both high detergent and zinc additive requirements. Rotella is reasonably priced and easily available. When breaking in a new rebuild, with a new cam and lifters, a zinc additive is a good idea. When resurrecting an old engine you'll want to change oil and filter often for the first 1,000 miles or so, so price is a consideration. If I were maintaining a performance engine then I'd probably use a higher performance oil.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Adios, David
Good point David, the Rotella oil is a bargain compared to the Brad-Penn.
The Brad-Penn has a little more zinc & phosphorus than the Rotella, but you will pay for it.
You can always add Lucas additive which has all the good stuff in it & you will be in the ballpark.

I use Lucas classic car oil, it was designed for use with a flat tappet cam. I like it because the oil doesn't think out at higher temperatures.

Back