Free Head

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
So the other day i got a free head from a super nice guy with a 63 Falcon 170 auto. This is off a 200 and i was wondering if you all could tell me anything about it other than it being a 66 head.

He said it was a 65 but it says 66. My 65 Ranchero is the same, the head is a 66 and the block is a 65. Is this a normal thing like late 65 or are these newer heads?

I plan to possibly hog out the hole for a 32/36 or a 38/38, or set it up for 3 glass bowl 1904s. What special work should i do to it an all to make it neat? I know the later ones have larger valves and all, but can i install the larger valves in it?

I know i got tranny issues right now but this is a future project. Just planning

Thanks guys,
Ryan

Attachments

• 20180312_182300.jpg
    20180312_182300.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 134
Don't waste your money. The flow is very poor. Need to go 78+80+ being the best.

wsa111":29vb2cwj said:
Don't waste your money. The flow is very poor. Need to go 78+80+ being the best.
Are those common? That leaves me with 3 years of heads to look for.

Would it be better to cut the intake off and do side draft webers? Im looking at doing that as well, wpuld the flow problem be fixed?

"...wpuld the flow problem be fixed..."
by removing the log U have more options but need to engineer properly.

"...3 years of heads to look for. ..."
actually 6: '78 - '83.

Have you looked at "the Handbook"? or above "Tech Archive"? :unsure:
(y)

Well, I would say any head from 69 and up will work, from a 2bbl adapter standpoint. I think a multi-carb setup is another story. Plenty have made that work successfully.

chad":g7yznvbn said:
"...wpuld the flow problem be fixed..."
by removing the log U have more options but need to engineer properly.

"...3 years of heads to look for. ..."
actually 6: '78 - '83.

Have you looked at "the Handbook"? or above "Tech Archive"? :unsure:
(y)
Oh really i thought they quit making them in 81. Cool thats even better.

I have the book and i ocassionally go thorugh the tech archive.

here's an '83 200 that duz the multi carb
(ignore the clifford advert):

scotts6502.jpg

Attachments

• scotts6502.jpg
    scotts6502.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 105
Last week,while checking on where my#7 head was in line for work,my machinist GAVE me a 73 head still in plastic,only missing
2 spring retainers,locks et al.
I wasn't looking for another head to tinker on.He's going to see it again as soon as I get it stripped.#8.
Since #7 is in the shop,I am seeing what I can do with a 60 head.I have both plugs out of the log and grinding stones on an extension
opening up the log/runner on the back and front two runners when one bud said his co has a machine that could bore the log out .Currently setting that up.Already bored the carb hole out to 1.75 and I have an adapter(1.75)with both patterns on it.
Maybe some one wants a numbers matching early head?
WHY can't I leave things alone?

Howdy Ryan and All:

What has been done to the "Free head"? Is it a rebuild core? or has it been freshened? If it has not had a recent valve job it is probable not worth the time, money and effort to create a performance head. If it has been freshened it might be worth hanging on to as an emergency replacement for the stock head on your engine, maybe. For a performance foundation continue looking for a '78 and later head. You'll gain greater intake tract volume, hardened valve seats, bigger intake valves, a larger diameter carb hole. You could add the last three to an early head at a cost, but the intake volume will always be a limitation both in terms of volume and in ease of adding a two barrel or three single carbs.

For comparison, the '66 intake tract measures 1,100 ccs. The hex shaped log of the '80 and later head measures 1,420 cc. You'll find this data on page 7 of the Handbook.

The early Offy 3x1 kit will fit this early '66 head.

Adios, David

CZLN6":lqewm04q said:
Howdy Ryan and All:

What has been done to the "Free head"? Is it a rebuild core? or has it been freshened? If it has not had a recent valve job it is probable not worth the time, money and effort to create a performance head. If it has been freshened it might be worth hanging on to as an emergency replacement for the stock head on your engine, maybe. For a performance foundation continue looking for a '78 and later head. You'll gain greater intake tract volume, hardened valve seats, bigger intake valves, a larger diameter carb hole. You could add the last three to an early head at a cost, but the intake volume will always be a limitation both in terms of volume and in ease of adding a two barrel or three single carbs.

For comparison, the '66 intake tract measures 1,100 ccs. The hex shaped log of the '80 and later head measures 1,420 cc. You'll find this data on page 7 of the Handbook.

The early Offy 3x1 kit will fit this early '66 head.

Adios, David
It looks like its a core, its missing the rocker assembly (no biggie i have one from a 63 170), and it looks jusy kinda grimie under the valve cover. The valves look nice though anf the chamber doesnt look bad.

I wanted a backup head but i wanted to make jt a little better but if this aint worth sinking money into then ill keep it for when i want to practice doing machine work myself. I may even learn how to cut off the intake from this head.

Anyhow thanks guys!
Ryan

it duz
AND
it's listed as an '83 200ci...
Still a good response to OP's "multi" or log-ectomy post above.
(is it 3 2v DCOEs? remote fuel AND H2O pumps?)

(BTW: I may B gettin closer to puttin ur shive/pulley on & installin my motor)

That is a 240/300, it has an intake under the carbs but if you zoom in you can see it's bolted on. Also notice the front exhaust port is vertical, not angled like on the 200/250. Other indicators as well- thermostat cover, distributor placement, etc.

Back