Starter size issues

Hello all,

This is my first time posting. But I've been a long time reader.

About 2 years ago I found a beautiful 1983 Fairmont 200 with an SROD attached to it for $100. Never been bored. I had the bellhousing modified to accept a T5 w/S10 tailhousing. Fast forward and everything is in the car now, but yet to be started yet.

So I run down to the local parts store and order a starter for a 83 Fairmont or 83 Mustang 5.0. Bring it home and it doesn't fit. I take it back and order from Rock Auto and it's the same starter that doesn't fit. So I look up the block numbers and sure enough it's a 78-83 Fairmout. I tried looking for the bellhousing numbers but couldn't find them. Besides, it bolted up perfectly to the block. I've spent a week trying to look for bastard Ford Fairmont applications. Couldn't find any. All references to the starter are for the one that doesn't fit. The starter hole is big. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1988.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1990.JPG
    IMG_1990.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 80
Looks like a 2 bolt starter. I'd guess that any 80's-90s manual trans 2 bolt starter will work. You might try a trip to the local auto parts house with a ruler and some calipers. I have a starter for a 93 F-150 manual laying around I can check for you if you give me the specs of the bore, bolt center width ect. It's the same 2 bolt starter used on most all manual Fords from the 80's-90's. The manual 2-bolt starter has a slightly larger bore than the automatic, otherwise they look identical. Sometimes errors in parts references can get compounded across multiple applications. It is a small six though, with a high mount so who knows, it could be *special*

1963RancheroBase":218hzsr4 said:
Hello all,

This is my first time posting. But I've been a long time reader.

About 2 years ago I found a beautiful 1983 Fairmont 200 with an SROD attached to it for $100. Never been bored. I had the bellhousing modified to accept a T5 w/S10 tailhousing. Fast forward and everything is in the car now, but yet to be started yet.

So I run down to the local parts store and order a starter for a 83 Fairmont or 83 Mustang 5.0. Bring it home and it doesn't fit. I take it back and order from Rock Auto and it's the same starter that doesn't fit. So I look up the block numbers and sure enough it's a 78-83 Fairmout. I tried looking for the bellhousing numbers but couldn't find them. Besides, it bolted up perfectly to the block. I've spent a week trying to look for bastard Ford Fairmont applications. Couldn't find any. All references to the starter are for the one that doesn't fit. The starter hole is big. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First off Ford Fairmonts that came with a SRod trans are quite rare the parts stores are likely only showing a starter for an Auto trans. Fords also have two different starter offsets 3/8 or 3/4 inch, you can figure this out by measuring from the face of the starter mounting to the flywheel. Generally the 3/8 inch off set is for a manual trans and the 3/4 inch fits an auto trans. If you want the old style large starter as an example look for a 1967 to 70 Falcon or Mustang with a 200 six and manual trans. If you want to go with a mini type starter look for a 1992 to 96 5.0 with a 5 speed trans. Good luck (y) :nod:

"...and it doesn't fit..." & "..hole too big..." R begining descriptions. If bub's info don't help & Seth's idea on measuring R insufficient may B more specifics on dimentions could zero in on ur needs.

Update

I measured what I could and still couldn't find a starter that would fit. So I called Paul at Modern DriveLine and he was able to chase down the correct starter. Base number is 3157. It looks like my motor and bellhousing is not from a 1983, but most likely from an 78 to 82 Fairmont.

Thanks for the help.

let's stay connected till U find it...

jackfish , a member here may have some ideas. He, like many of our members, is very giving, helpful, knowledgable...
He would accept a PM if U'd like to post him. He drug up a Fairmount wagon frm Mexico to Winnepg & uses as DD.
May B able 2 help ID starter (but may B not w/che**y T5).

Just finished installing the 3157 starter and it is the correct one for my application. Thank you Paul at Modern Driveline and to the others that posted.

Back