Engine won’t turn off.

HopinHerl

Hello, I have a 1968 Bronco with a 200 block and a 250 head. I have a Holley 4412 directly mounted to the intake manifold and a DUI distributer.

I just put it all back together and it fired up! The problem is it would not turn off with the key.

I don’t see how I could have wired the distributer incorrectly. I’m thinking the fuel/air ratio to off on the carb.

Has anyone had this problem and can direct me to a solution? Thanks. Tyler.

Howdy,

I had the exact problem. My solenoid was crappy. I thought i had a bad wire harness or something but it was as simple as a getting a nice solenoid rather a cheap one. Although after i stalled the car it drained the battery and i couldnt start it again.

Check that, cheap fix.

Good luck,
Ryan

Thanks, I had the distributer wired wrong. Go figure.

Any advice on excessive smoke spewing from the valve cover. I do not have the PCV hooked up yet but even then it’s probably too much for the PCV to manage. I didn’t have any blow-by before I swapped the head. Maybe it just needs to be ran a little to clear it up.

Glad you got it to turn off and that you found this site.

HopinHerl":sls6uzue said:
Thanks, I had the distributer wired wrong. Go figure.

Any advice on excessive smoke spewing from the valve cover. I do not have the PCV hooked up yet but even then it’s probably too much for the PCV to manage. I didn’t have any blow-by before I swapped the head. Maybe it just needs to be ran a little to clear it up.

What's the condistion of the Short Block in? If I had to guess then Installing a fresh head on a worn high Milage bottom end could be one likely cause of your blow by! And the reason you didn't have blow by before is that the bottom end and top end were equally matched in their condistion. Good luck (y) :nod:

Bubba, I think you are right. I wasn’t sure if the mileage on the block when I got it. Before the head swap, I did have fumes in the cab but thought it was from a leaking exhaust manifold.
I pulled the spark plugs last night and found them covered in oil. I should have pulled the bottom when I had the top off. I was too excited to get it running, lesson learned.

I have a 250 block sitting in my garage, I am thinking about rebuilding it and swapping the 200 out. I could then put a better “truck” transmission in.

The problem is I milled the 250 head .050. Will the compression be too high now for the 250 block? Maybe it will work with dished pistons if they don’t top out.

I’m learning as I go. Thanks for the advice.

HopinHerl":1pk38wnr said:
Bubba, I think you are right. I wasn’t sure if the mileage on the block when I got it. Before the head swap, I did have fumes in the cab but thought it was from a leaking exhaust manifold.
I pulled the spark plugs last night and found them covered in oil. I should have pulled the bottom when I had the top off. I was too excited to get it running, lesson learned.

I have a 250 block sitting in my garage, I am thinking about rebuilding it and swapping the 200 out. I could then put a better “truck” transmission in.

The problem is I milled the 250 head .050. Will the compression be too high now for the 250 block? Maybe it will work with dished pistons if they don’t top out.

I’m learning as I go. Thanks for the advice.

(y) a 250 swapped for a 200 in your Bronco is hands down a great way to go and you will love it's extra torque! X2 on all the better bolt on transmission choices you will also have too. It will depend on what year of 250 block you have but some like my 77 Maverick have the pistion down the hole .150. Even so a .050 cut off your new head shouldn't rasie the compression too much. Good luck (y) :nod:

The 1969 250's do have a higher compression but I still think you will be fine. I usally recommend CC'ing the heads combustion chambers and the pistion dish plus the amount the pistion is down the hole on both the front and rear cylinder's (to see if they match) to then calculate the engines true compression ratio. Good luck (y) :nod:

250 is a popular swap-in 4 a bronk, that head will work on the block (double ck as per my subject line statement), the bell's great (C my sig. below), and NOW - U get to pick the correct cam for ur purposes.

Haul the 200 out, clean up the 250 block/rotating assembly, pick a cam, reassemble.

Put any spare head on the 200 & place on our, CL, or fleebay & recoup some of yer costs. They were only in a bronk 2 yrs...do U want a 3300# racing brick (the bronk) or a tourquie lill "truck"?
If U have a '69 head they R known as "the M" (see the casting numbers) and are rare/nice for the 2v direct mount carb.

Yep now you are talking the 250 is good for your Bronco as stated for the torque and combined with a 5 sp/od trans it will help you go faster. Consider starting research of a 300 bh /clutch etc so you can use the larger clutch although mine has been fine with the 250 bh and clutch. If I was starting over I would consider the M50D trans for lower costs or the AX15.

'N me the ZF for extra (2) PTO, lower gear, & beefyness...
but that's to different purposes
8^ )

Back