Maximum load on a 170

falcon_master

Hi everyone it's Jarod again. Today I'm gonna ask something pretty dumb. I know a falcon wasn't designed to be a hauler or to tow anything but I want to know just for curiousity if anyone knows the gvwr or maximum weight limit on of these. And just a rough estimate of what someone thinks my engine and trans could handle. So far progress is slow on it. But starting next Monday I'm gonna start work on it again. I'll upload a video of it. Hoping to have it running and to see if I can make it move forward just a bit before the end of the week. Thanks everyone. Btw does anyone know again just a rough estimate of how long one of these old clutches last. Thanks
Jarod

Hi, l have seriously overloaded my Bronco in the past and never worried, but only went locally.
I would worry more about the rear axle bearings before the engine.
You have a different clutch. I have gone many miles, including snow plowing, and teaching my son to drive on the mighty nine inch clutch. I installed that clutch over 18 years ago after the other one got oil soaked from the input bearing cover seal failure.
Good luck

sometimes different data/vin plates list these items out. Look around on the vehicle.
As per RON look up the axel sz's rating on google for info...
that's the 1 to B concerned abt. These Falcon or ThriftPower motors have really good tq (may B not HP as oe) so clutch is the other (@ start up frm stop).
If its an issue (lots of towing or 'carrying') some go w/a built auto tranny...

falcon_master":1abrn4f1 said:
Hi everyone it's Jarod again. Today I'm gonna ask something pretty dumb. I know a falcon wasn't designed to be a hauler or to tow anything but I want to know just for curiousity if anyone knows the gvwr or maximum weight limit on of these. And just a rough estimate of what someone thinks my engine and trans could handle. So far progress is slow on it. But starting next Monday I'm gonna start work on it again. I'll upload a video of it. Hoping to have it running and to see if I can make it move forward just a bit before the end of the week. Thanks everyone. Btw does anyone know again just a rough estimate of how long one of these old clutches last. Thanks
Jarod
I have hauled some heavy loads with my 200 powered econoline, including towing an 18' boat with inboard Volvo over mountains... it was slow going, but it made it...

Back