Oil Idiot Light comes on when I brake hard .

falconcritter

Supporter 2023
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2018
I noticed when I took a test drive before I purchased my Falcon .... the oil light would come on when I braked . I did not think much of it . Now I just got all new brakes all around , when I get on the brakes hard my oil light comes on . Any ideas what is going on ?

Oil pump is sucking air! Check the oil pans sump if it's dented in. If it's not that then you could add some baffles to the oil pan to keep oil around the oil pick up tube, this a very good mod for these engines when doing any spirited driving. You might also pull the valve cover and check that the heads oil return holes are clean all the way down through the block so that it lets the oil drain back to the pan quickly. Good luck (y) :nod:

I have a similar prob with my Ranchero. Usually it means pour more oil in the engine lol. Mine leaks a little so that usually keeps me checking it.

Hi, besides adding extra oil, you could try thicker oil. If you normally use 10W 40, you can try 20W 50. If the oil is fresh and you don't want to change it you could try a thick oil additive like Lucas. As mentioned, pulling the valve cover and checking for a blockage is a good idea. Good luck

Howdy Back Falconcritter and All:

Is your oil stick the original stick to this engine? If not, next time you change oil check the oil level on the dip stick. Compare to the "Full" line. The oil level and the "full" line should be the same. Frequently, they are not. You'd be surprised at how often oil dip sticks get mixed over the years.

What is the condition of your engine?

Be sure to let us know what you find.

Adios, David

Thanks for all of the feed back ! :D I did get 20W50 for the extreme heat and humidity coming Spring and Summer in North Florida . And I do have too change the valve cover gasket, so next weekend will be a working weekend ! 8) I think I will put the wife to work turning wenches too ! :LOL:

couple that plays together stays together (stage or phase 2 - a ride together).
8)

On Saturday the wife and got the valve cover off and no slug , oil passage are clear . The oil did look and feel weak . Like it had no viscosity . We put a new cover on and changed the oil . 20W50 and Lucas Oil . For a while it sounded worse than before the change . But the second time we warmed up the engine it quited it down . Today the wife wanted to go back too work so she cleaned the trunk up and I got inside the drivers side door to cut away some channel felt so the window can roll all the way down . And we washed and waxed it too . Tomorrow is a test ride after work !

"... pour more oil in the engine..."
AND
David's "length of stick"
R 2 good'uns.
(?4.5 qts, isn't it? when change oil'n filter?)

Glad the thicker stuff helps!
Glad the pump's OK (saw it circulate thru head well)!
the pan's not outta shape!

"...when I brake hard ."
how bout heavy acceleration or sharp fast cornering?

Well guys ... I think we have found the problem .... Drip Stick length is the correct one , no dented up oil pan ! But was having a problem with the car running . We set the carb up and time the engine and it would be fine first and second time good ... third and four it would run like crap ! We found out the Dizzy was losing timing ! It will not hold it at all . And there is oil inside of the dizzy. So when I was testing it around the block , I was losing timing when I slowed down and losing timing . The pump was losing pressure . Got a new dizzy and waiting for electronic ignition.

Back