Crankshaft end play

Was helping my buddy today to put his 170 together that has been apart for 17+ years. Stabbed the crank in this afternoon. Main bearing clearance is ok however the end play seems excessive. I forgot to grab my dial gauge before I left my house so I do not know the exact number but from using calipers it seems to be more than 0.020”. Will go over one night this week and get the actual number with the dial gauge but my question is do they make wider thrust bearings in order to account for wear? I assume they would. He is kinda upset about this because he had the crank turned like 8 years ago.

Hi, my Chilton's manual says .004 - .008 for crank shaft end play. You can measure it with a feeler gauge. Good luck

Sorry but you will need to take the crank back since it’s not been ground to the factory specs. Normally if they aren’t in spec they get built up with weld then reground back to factory clearance. There’s no special thrust bearings made to fix that issue. Good luck (y) :nod:

That is what I was afraid of. Had that done to my 200 in 2002 when the thrust bearing let go. My crank was pretty chewed up though so it was a no brained.

Thanks

Unfortunately :banghead: this is a common problem with manual trans cars. Every time you step on the clutch it’s pushing the crankshaft forward eventually it wears out the thrust bearing and or in very severe cases also damage the crank. Good luck :nod:

I got lucky with my 170, it had "excessive" crank end play before my thrift rebuild and the thrust bearing looked absolutely trashed, i didnt take the crank in to get reground as i was trying to be cheap as possible so i just ordered a set of standard size bearings and that took all the play out of the crank so it must have all been in the bearing itself and not the crank

Back