Giving up. Way to make my ignition circuit?

Watching that video, there is a good chance you are running 180 out. I've seen a Dodge 440 Magnum run like that before when 180 out. Make sure you are on TDC for the POWER STROKE of cylinder #1 and not the exhaust stroke.

That said, looking down your carb it appears to be just dumping raw fuel. As bad as that is (washing down your cylinder walls and plugs), you should be able to rev it like a banshee if the timing is fixed.

You know.... I went out of my way to help you. I gave you a very good guide on how it works. You could literally rewire the damned thing with 8x feet of three different colors and you start new threads and you can't even acknowledge that. I'm done. Apparently it's too expensive to buy $20 worth of wire and connectors from the hardware store and pull your ignition switch and learn how to ring out a circuit with this multimeter you have and figure out what wire is what. Do you need a picture, or drawing?
You're pissing me off

You have been guided & advised by the best.
I believe its time to take your gem to a qualified professional for hands on diagnosis & fixing your engines condition.

Seth, relax man, he's a kid. Be glad he has any interest in an old Falcon at all.

Besides, the problem isn't in the wiring, the distributor isn't installed correctly. I'm sure there are probably some dodgy parts in his wiring, but it is trying to run.

I can't tell you how many forum assists and solutions I've given over the years, and the who-ever follow up poster that agrees with my answer gets the credit.

Falcon, if you don't want to pull the distributor to check, you can jump your plug wires around on the cap 180. Or jump them 1 forward or back to see if you are off a tooth or two.

I'd do that as a check first, find out where it should be, then put the plug wires back on the cap correctly, and reset the distributor.

How are you determining that you have 5-6 degrees of timing?

Without it running close to correctly, and not using a timing light, you really can't cold set the timing by eye with the timing marks on the crank and timing chain cover.

Or, pull the valve cover, line up TDC timing marks, with the valve cover off make sure both valves are closed on #1, and reset the distributor, but it is also possible that your outer ring on your crank pulley has spun, making the timing mark useless. You can stick a chop stick or a piece of mig wire in the spark plug hole to check that you are at #1 TDC.

You could be getting excess blow-by if you are firing when the exhaust valve is open, but that motor could surely use a valve job. Or some rings could be seized from sitting, and may clear up some just getting it to run for any amount of time.

Back