Stock 170 Solid Lifter Cam lift

62Cometman

Does anyone know what max lift for a stock solid lifter cam for a 170 might be? Also does anyone have what the actual stock adjustable rocker ratio is cause im finding anywhere between 1.43-1.48

Howdy Cometman:

Lift for 170 cam with 1.5:1 adjustable rockers is .348". Duration is 240 degrees.

Adios, David

Thanks david always a help.

So bit the bullet and bought the adjustable 1.6 ratio rockers from vintage and will use them on the stock cam with stock 289 springs. The discussion for 4 mains vs 7 mains has inspired me to take it to the extreme, and start amassing everything i need to build a "performance" 170 with full balanced rotating assembly upgraded schnieder cam with dual valve springs 1.6 ratio rocker modified log manifold for a weber and lots of head and block work, double roller timing setup with a recurved DUI from for the 1/4 drive im hoping to turn 6k on this little motor and switch it to a s10 T-5 and an 8 inch that ive already started shortening with posi. Would be a sweet little set up. Though i do wonder whether a modified log for direct mount weber would work better or the Offy triple single setup.

Say 62Comet, have you purchased that incredibly expensive DUI w1/4" shaft yet? Have you considered reaming the the block and swapping oil pumps? This way your not locked out of any future dist. needs. I'm planning something like this when I'm done with my 200 build.

62Cometman":2c2wvgh1 said:
Thanks david always a help.

So bit the bullet and bought the adjustable 1.6 ratio rockers from vintage and will use them on the stock cam with stock 289 springs. The discussion for 4 mains vs 7 mains has inspired me to take it to the extreme, and start amassing everything i need to build a "performance" 170 with full balanced rotating assembly upgraded schnieder cam with dual valve springs 1.6 ratio rocker modified log manifold for a weber and lots of head and block work, double roller timing setup with a recurved DUI from for the 1/4 drive im hoping to turn 6k on this little motor and switch it to a s10 T-5 and an 8 inch that ive already started shortening with posi. Would be a sweet little set up. Though i do wonder whether a modified log for direct mount weber would work better or the Offy triple single setup.

I actually purchased a good used 1/4 drive DUI unit the guy installed it in his wife's 200 powered mustang but she didnt like driving it that much and he did so he made it his car and swapped a v8 so i got it for about half price so not too bad for an DUI unit let alone any after market distributor, but im sure it still needs a re-curve, which ill have bill do when i get to that point

Hi, X2 on the distributor - oil pump drive shaft. I would worry about the 1/4 shaft at the RPMs you plan on turning. It will definitely be weak. While the engine is apart why not just go for the bigger shaft. You will probably want a new oil pump anyway. Good luck

i guess i wonder why everyone is worried about the oil pump shaft or distributor when SBF also use 1/4 oil pump drive and they turn to 6-6500 rpm regularly without second thought, my question is what makes these so much weaker? Other than the metal surrounding the drive recession in the distributor but that effects the distributor not the driveshaft

Also really dumb questions/ light bulb moment, why hast anyone made a main girdle for the 4 main sixes like they make for the SBF? Its literally just a steel plate with cutouts.

Back