Fuel pump

Tattookyle76

Since I’m new to the in-line 6 I’m not sure about the fuel pump. I have the 200 in my 63 fairlane 500. I’m having carb issues and I remembered that the guy I bought it from said they put a new fuel pump in. Could it be the incorrect pump pushing too much gas into the carb? What is the correct fuel pump for this application. SummitRacing is down the street from me so I have quick access to parts.

The stock fuel pump should put out 4-6psi. What kind of issues are you having? If it's a fuel issue it's likely the carb or the intake sock in the tank or the filter. Carb issues on old cars are very common. Especially when they aren't run daily or weekly. The main thing is to be sure it is a fuel problem and not some ignition issue. Rebuilding the carb is always first order after your first assessment with no smoking gun.

If you get a new Carter, you are going to get 7-8#'s.

Only owned it for a month or so, the original carb was cracked and wouldn’t even hold and gas, I had to find something quick to get it home so O’Reilly had one. It’s leaked from the beginning and now the car will start and run for 7 seconds before flooding and pouring gas out of the vent. I’ve made sure that there is no dirt or grit anywhere, so it hit me that the previous owner said he put a new fuel pump on but admitted he didn’t know much about it. So could it be the wrong one and putting way too much fuel pressure in the carb?

Sounds like an issue with the float or needle, maybe it's hanging up or set too high.

2X on ^^^^^^^
Easiest & 1st.

Is it the mechanical? on the block left/driver's side. U could ck it for output w/a bucket there if ur concerned w/it.

Also real easy (but just 4 fun & 2 prevent more troubles) the last filter...on carb, a screw in where the fuel line goesinta the carb & other fuel filters might need change out as you've sucked up some crap frm the tank?

Keep talkin~
(y)

Hi, X2. You need to check the float level and look for dirt in the needle and seat area, and in the bottom of the float bowl. You can never be sure there is no dirt or crud in an old car fuel system.
The old school fix was to tap on the fuel inlet area on the carb (gently, with the plastic part of a screwdriver handle) to free up a sticky float.
I use 4 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil per tank of gas, thinking it will prevent things like sticky carb parts. Good luck

Back