Rear main rope seal

64-5mustang

Slowly building a 66 200, went to install the rear main today. With the seal install i can not even turn the crank at all. It spins fine with out it. When I installed it up taped it in the grove with a large socket it filled it and spilled over about a half inch looked just liked the old one. Did I miss something in the install? it's my first rope seal. Most likely I'll just get a rubber seal and get rid of the retainer pin. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Yes, #2 is M U C H better. With the 'modern age' (50 yrs later) technology is way better (in most ways).
Use the modern gasket, our search function is yer friend (a few tricks, 3-4, that really help). U basically got it right

U Go Mar-co!
got the rig back together?
:eek:

Well got the rubber seal in no problem. This is how far I got on it today

Attachments

• 20180420_203355.jpg
    20180420_203355.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 40
  • 20180420_203458.jpg
    20180420_203458.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 40
nice!
white, now, never saw that...how'd ya choose that?

I like the lill fedangle on da VC - looks like it'll hold a cable - throttle pretty good.
That didn't come in '66 did it? What VC is it?

It's looking good. White paint or is that the primer? Did you braze the 2v mod yourself? I'm preparing to do that. Any advice?

Yep white paint. I did the 2v myself but I welded it up with nickle rod did the exhaust divider too. My only regret is that nickle is a hard metal to machine, drill and so on. I would recommend that you do braze it.

Back