4 Bent Push Rods. What the?

65coupei6

Famous Member
Staff member
VIP
When my engine was disassembled look what they found. Funny thing. It always ran great. I drive it every summer on a 8 hour round trip thru the Sierra Mountains. It only had a slight tick that I thought was my port divider.

Attachments

• IMG_20180420_160120.jpg
    IMG_20180420_160120.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 124
Are those pushrods solid or tubular?? Valve retainer hitting valve guide at full lift??? Valve float??

It's strange that it was 4. I did't pull them out. So, I am not sure which hole they came from.

I know when I put on the Aluminum Valve cover, when Mike first made them, the rockers hit the cover. I had to grind away some of the casting on the cover.

65coupei6":7m4k8mal said:
It's strange that it was 4. I did't pull them out. So, I am not sure which hole they came from.

I know when I put on the Aluminum Valve cover, when Mike first made them, the rockers hit the cover. I had to grind away some of the casting on the cover.
Hitting the cover would do it!..and about 50 other things. :D

I think it must have been rocker adjustment or lifter issuses b/c only 4 and all bent so badly. If it were the springs or some other systemic problem they'd all be screwed up. That's partly why I opted for non adjustable valve train in the end on my build. I didn't want to fuss with it was the other part, I was in range @ ~.010" net under, that and 250's need custom length ball/cup pu$hrods.

heres my effort : had a 200ci engine sitting for some time in the shed
put in car connect up and turned it over :

ran- but very badly - ruh roh (in Scooby Doo voice) .

so started comp test all seemed ok . then took rocker cover off and noted one valve - inlet wasn't opening : closer look and pushrod loose :

took rockers off and pulled pushrod out .

hmm gave the valve a tap with hammer - solid .

gave a bigger tap with hammer - still solid.

ended up pulling and changing out the head - still couldn't loosen off the valve - got it move an 1/8" then wouldn't budge .

figured the stem is rusted into the guide with valve closed - turning over had bent the pushrod .

now we know what thah

Back